Skip to main content

My Broken Tooth

 I broke a tooth today. I've done that before; I inherited my mother's horrible teeth, and if not for crowns I would have the smile of any drug-addicted homeless man in the street. But the tooth broke, rather than the crown coming off. I've had that happen a couple of times, and it's nothing. After all, the tooth is just fake, held on by cements similar to the ones I use for my models.

This time, however, I have to have the root extracted so I can get the modern version of a bridge. And this new dental experience has reduced to me to jelly, this not helped by the condescending, sexist comments of the dental assistant.

I have a long, longe memory, my first recollections coming from age 2. I have well-developed, detailed memories from age 3 onward. I vividly recall being at the dentiswt as a child, when it was fashionable to fill baby teeth. I can recall being left there by my mother as a 14 year old, on the day I was paid for working as 'the 5th ace' at Camp Magar, and I had enough money to buy a new cymbal. I had that 18 inch cymbal for the next 50 years, until replaced just a couple of years ago.

I had braces, the all-American way to a perfect smile, that devastated my soft teeth. I had 60 cavities filled by the time I was 21. I broke my first tooth when I was 20. There are 5 surfaces to fill on any tooth- occlusal, buccal, lingual, medial, and lateral; most of my teeth have had all of them filled.  That I know that tells you how much dental care I have had.

I went without dental care as a medical student; I didn't have insurance, and I didn't want to bother my mother. By fourth year I had a hole in an incisor so large you could see through it. It's a miracle I had any dates at all. I had early periodontal disease by age 31, and worked hard to successfully stop it. Absence of periodontal disease is a condition for transplant. When I was told my gums were fine in 2008, I wept in the chair with relief.

My tooth broke and fell out while eating lunch. Fortunately I spat it out with the bone from a small lamb chop at Acropolis, a local Greek restaurant (Lamb lollipops, an appetizer, served on a bed of fries). I went right to the dentist, and my crown is cemented (glued, let us not pretend) in place. I have been told not to bite into anything and to chew only on my molars. There is no guarantee it will stay in place, either.

I came from the gym, from a workout with a trainer, trying to get myself in better condition. I've tried to make my life in better condition all my life. If I get goo grades, I will be free. If I get into medical school, if I am an academic physcian. If I only do this, this something,  I will no longer feel trapped in my past, living the nightmare of screaming, hitting, fear, blood, and death. One day, I will do enough, be enough. Like Proximo, I will be given a rudius, touched on the shoulder, and be free.

But I looked at my gap-toothed mouth, and all I saw was my mother in Bryn Mawr hospital, after she burned the house down smoking while blind. I saw her terrible mouth, without her bridgework, gums bare, only a few remaining teeth, her withered body, uncombed white hair. And I returned to see my mouth, lesser in degree but no different in kind, the avatar of my failure. My life is just icing and fluff. I am condemned to a mouth like hers, a death like hers, toothless, demented, and alone. And for this, I had a second transplant, to die without teeth, with no children to mourn, no grandchildren to succeed me.

The dental assistant laughed at my fear, told me, knowing my profession, that lots of women had tolerated worse pain, belittled my fear, knowing nothing of my past, my present, or what the broken tooth represents.

When I'm done my breakdown, the 8 shots of vodka, the valium, the hysterics, the depersonalitzation, I will go back and have my new experience, a dental extraction, dry-eyed and straight-backed. I have failed to rid myself of my past. All I can do is face the degradations and physical pain of the present and revel in what pleasure remains to me.

Ted

Comments

  1. Hi Ted. I just got around to reading your blog on "My Broken Tooth." I could relate to that. Recently I had a crown and post to come out. This was the second time this crown and post had come out since it was originally put in many years ago. After it came out I just stood in front of a mirror and put it back in. But as I tried to chew on the opposite side, I would inevitably get food on the other side causing the tooth to come out again.

    So I went to the dentist hoping he could cement it in again. After looking at the x-ray, he said the tooth had all broken off and there was only the crown left. He said in any procedure he always looked at the chances of success and failure. In this case he said that trying to cement the tooth back in would amount to a 100% chance of failure. He said the only option was to cut the root out.

    So I made another appointment and had that procedure done. It was not fun. I have had teeth cut out before. I loathe not being able to eat regular food. I was on a liquid and soft-food diet which I hated. I have had at least 10 crowns in my life, about half of them while I was in the Navy. I dread the continued loss of teeth. I have lost at least 5 teeth on my left side, but only 1 on my right side.

    The healing process seems to take forever with me constantly standing in front of a mirror with a flashlight looking at the socket for signs of healing. I obsess about everything. I always have. I don't know if heredity has anything to do with my problems, but my mom had the same problems with teeth becoming abscessed and coming out on their own because we were too poor to have dental work done.

    I enjoyed reading your blog only because I could somewhat relate to what you were going through. Thank you for all the great information you share through your blogs. I look forward to them. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Forgiveness

 In doing years of medical teaching, I have told students that teaching and learning are not directly related. I can teach and teach, but you may never learn. Conversely, you may learn continuously without me teaching you a thing. 'I teach' and 'you learn' are two separate, active processes that may overlap or coincide. The same is true of forgiveness. I am an unforgiving man. I am the very opposite of God, who is slow to anger and of great kindness. I am quick to anger and very slow to forgive. I'm kind and insightful with people generally, but when mistreated or insulted I am not kind at all, nor do I forget, or forgive.  The Bible tells us to do something else. We are told to forgive. In Matthew 18:21, Peter asks Jesus how often he should forgive his brother's sin. The Jewish standard was three times. Like the young man in the story of the Samaritan, who asks who his brother is in order to know to whom he should be loving, Peter appears to be asking for guida...

Politically Correct Dishonor

The Biblical prophets warned aloud that devastation would come to those who were unclean. Those that profaned God and the house of God, those who were drunken, fornicators, idolators, those that cheated, that gave unclean offerings. Israel was warned of the consequences of their behavior. And God did not punish Israel. Rather, by walking away from God, Israel simply suffered the consequences of its behavior and choices. I chose, I chose , to live, to receive a transplant. I struggled to have the surgery that prolonged my life, I accepted the gift of a kidney from a whole person that I might live. I was convinced by family and friends that I had some role in the world, something I might contribute. And I believed that. My idea of contribution was to teach, to give to others what I had learned to do. But I have lived to see injustice. To see self-interest and greed triumph over not merely right but reason as well. I see incompetence passed off as expertise, the mundane as the s...