Skip to main content

Religious Assault

I previously wrote about the student who asked my daughter not to say 'Jesus Christ' in front of her. She did not respond to the first comment, but a couple of days ago she muttered 'God damn it' in response to some annoyance or other. Her class mate said 'you know how I feel about saying that'. This time my daughter had the presence of mind to reply tartly to this personal censor.


I am actually not in favor of foul language, despite being a fluent and distressingly frequent practitioner. I have tried very hard to improve my language after hearing some others speaking as I have done. Nonetheless, this should be a matter of manners and interpersonal politeness. There is no kind of right to ask others to obey your own religious beliefs.

We have roundly condemned Muslims for their persecution of cartoonists while ignoring the religious zealots in our midst who wish to impose their values on others. I have every right to eat ham in front of a Jew, even while profoundly respecting Judaism. I do not support elective abortion, but I do think it should be legal. Behavioral law can not be made on the basis of religious behavioral restriction. This error has been made repeatedly by our society- blue laws, prohibition of alcohol, prohibition of abortion.

Eventually we will realize that the motto of my alma mater, the University of Pennsylvania, applies- leges sine moribus vanae. Laws without morals are vain. You can not legislate morality or behavior. Too often, the religious wish to impose their values on others. Sometimes this is by law, more often by their arrogant, condescending approach to others. All this does is create contempt for the religious, who do not see the difference between personal piety, chastity and devotion, and being a prig.

Instead, let the religious person's behavior shine as an example to inspire others, not oppress them. Let their happiness and peace appeal to others. Let them serve others, not try to tell them what to do. Let their light so shine before men that they may see the Father in heaven and be glad.

This most certainly does not involve open condemnation, but it also does not involve the sweeter, slightly more subtle words that are just as judgmental. 'I'm so sad when you say that', 'God doesn't like it when you say that', 'God doesn't need a dam- he can walk on water' and other similar phrases are just politely phrased judgment on others. It is no more appropriate for such words to be said than for Mennonites to criticize the short skirts of a non-Mennonite woman. Wear and live your values, but don't you dare to presume to tell others how they should live.

My daughter found a phrase that amply and crushingly summarizes the issue, as much because of as in spite of its analogy-


'You may have a penis. It may be important to you. You may be proud of it. But that does not give you the right to wave it around in public, or to ram it down my throat.'


The visual analogy to rape gets at the essence of such behavior- it is an imposition on others. We readily recognize that imposition on the body of another is wrong- assault, rape, murder. Imposing intellectual and moral values is no less an assault. And it is wrong.

Ted

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Forgiveness

 In doing years of medical teaching, I have told students that teaching and learning are not directly related. I can teach and teach, but you may never learn. Conversely, you may learn continuously without me teaching you a thing. 'I teach' and 'you learn' are two separate, active processes that may overlap or coincide. The same is true of forgiveness. I am an unforgiving man. I am the very opposite of God, who is slow to anger and of great kindness. I am quick to anger and very slow to forgive. I'm kind and insightful with people generally, but when mistreated or insulted I am not kind at all, nor do I forget, or forgive.  The Bible tells us to do something else. We are told to forgive. In Matthew 18:21, Peter asks Jesus how often he should forgive his brother's sin. The Jewish standard was three times. Like the young man in the story of the Samaritan, who asks who his brother is in order to know to whom he should be loving, Peter appears to be asking for guida...

My Broken Tooth

 I broke a tooth today. I've done that before; I inherited my mother's horrible teeth, and if not for crowns I would have the smile of any drug-addicted homeless man in the street. But the tooth broke, rather than the crown coming off. I've had that happen a couple of times, and it's nothing. After all, the tooth is just fake, held on by cements similar to the ones I use for my models. This time, however, I have to have the root extracted so I can get the modern version of a bridge. And this new dental experience has reduced to me to jelly, this not helped by the condescending, sexist comments of the dental assistant. I have a long, longe memory, my first recollections coming from age 2. I have well-developed, detailed memories from age 3 onward. I vividly recall being at the dentiswt as a child, when it was fashionable to fill baby teeth. I can recall being left there by my mother as a 14 year old, on the day I was paid for working as 'the 5th ace' at Camp Maga...

Politically Correct Dishonor

The Biblical prophets warned aloud that devastation would come to those who were unclean. Those that profaned God and the house of God, those who were drunken, fornicators, idolators, those that cheated, that gave unclean offerings. Israel was warned of the consequences of their behavior. And God did not punish Israel. Rather, by walking away from God, Israel simply suffered the consequences of its behavior and choices. I chose, I chose , to live, to receive a transplant. I struggled to have the surgery that prolonged my life, I accepted the gift of a kidney from a whole person that I might live. I was convinced by family and friends that I had some role in the world, something I might contribute. And I believed that. My idea of contribution was to teach, to give to others what I had learned to do. But I have lived to see injustice. To see self-interest and greed triumph over not merely right but reason as well. I see incompetence passed off as expertise, the mundane as the s...