Hi all-
This is the last post on this blog. I have appreciated your comments, and I have enjoyed writing my thoughts about various religious and social topics. I want to write a sort of cookbook (!) right now, and that is what I will be working on.
Here is what I have learned about myself during this past year of writing and interacting here:
-I believe in a creator, interventionalist God.
-I do not believe in Jesus' literal divinity.
-I do not believe in the resurrection as preached in church
-I do not believe Christianity is the only way to find God, or have an interaction with God.
-I am fundamentally Judeo-Christian oriented, despite all of the above, believing Jesus to be a great and godly man, illuminated by the spirit of God. His teachings and example inspire me, as does the Bible, my major source of philosophical recourse.
-I believe in individual responsibility.
-Government can not undo or correct the errors of personal choice and initiative.
-Government should provide no support to individuals, only groups where such support benefits society.
-Low taxes increase revenue.
-The budget should be balanced.
-There should be term limits.
-I strongly support complete freedom of speech. While this is constitutionally guaranteed, you are not protected from the consequences of what you say.
-Prohibition always fails. Legalize drugs, prostitution and gambling. Tax, regulate and zone it.
-I do not support elective abortion, but I do feel it should be legal, like most other personal behavioral choices.
-Homosexuality is not a sin and is not an abnormality.
-A married heterosexual couple is the only structure within which children should be born or raised. I do not condone or celebrate single motherhood or homosexual couple adoptions.
-Political correctness is for the birds. If you are different you are entirely entitled to be so, but not protected from the laughter and teasing of others.
-TV and fast food are poisonous to the mind and body respectively.
-A military is essential. We are not all friends, and we never will be
-'Free Trade' is a lie when wages and working conditions vary widely throughout the world. Protect American workers and product.
-As a culture, we are obese, lazy and whining, craven. Each of us needs to take responsibility for ourselves.
- We need to acknowledge the failure of various governmental programs, regardless of view, and act accordingly.
I find I have nothing more to say, and it's a waste of time to simply repeat the basic items above as they apply to repeated news events.
Whether called religious, Christian, Republican, conservative, old-fashioned, the values I have been able to articulate are all essentially the same. The name given depends on how the person is 'classified' by the media, and on the emphasis of their self-presentation.
I wish you all well.
Ted
This is the last post on this blog. I have appreciated your comments, and I have enjoyed writing my thoughts about various religious and social topics. I want to write a sort of cookbook (!) right now, and that is what I will be working on.
Here is what I have learned about myself during this past year of writing and interacting here:
-I believe in a creator, interventionalist God.
-I do not believe in Jesus' literal divinity.
-I do not believe in the resurrection as preached in church
-I do not believe Christianity is the only way to find God, or have an interaction with God.
-I am fundamentally Judeo-Christian oriented, despite all of the above, believing Jesus to be a great and godly man, illuminated by the spirit of God. His teachings and example inspire me, as does the Bible, my major source of philosophical recourse.
-I believe in individual responsibility.
-Government can not undo or correct the errors of personal choice and initiative.
-Government should provide no support to individuals, only groups where such support benefits society.
-Low taxes increase revenue.
-The budget should be balanced.
-There should be term limits.
-I strongly support complete freedom of speech. While this is constitutionally guaranteed, you are not protected from the consequences of what you say.
-Prohibition always fails. Legalize drugs, prostitution and gambling. Tax, regulate and zone it.
-I do not support elective abortion, but I do feel it should be legal, like most other personal behavioral choices.
-Homosexuality is not a sin and is not an abnormality.
-A married heterosexual couple is the only structure within which children should be born or raised. I do not condone or celebrate single motherhood or homosexual couple adoptions.
-Political correctness is for the birds. If you are different you are entirely entitled to be so, but not protected from the laughter and teasing of others.
-TV and fast food are poisonous to the mind and body respectively.
-A military is essential. We are not all friends, and we never will be
-'Free Trade' is a lie when wages and working conditions vary widely throughout the world. Protect American workers and product.
-As a culture, we are obese, lazy and whining, craven. Each of us needs to take responsibility for ourselves.
- We need to acknowledge the failure of various governmental programs, regardless of view, and act accordingly.
I find I have nothing more to say, and it's a waste of time to simply repeat the basic items above as they apply to repeated news events.
Whether called religious, Christian, Republican, conservative, old-fashioned, the values I have been able to articulate are all essentially the same. The name given depends on how the person is 'classified' by the media, and on the emphasis of their self-presentation.
I wish you all well.
Ted
"There is a time for every purpose under heaven." It's been fun reading your blog and it sounds as though you've received as well as given through this the sharing your thoughts. Your journey has been an inspiring one to be sure. Your perspective on the value of each day and the "little" things is one we would all benefit from embracing. Hope the cookbook is loads of fun!
ReplyDeleteBlessings to you and yours.
I will miss your posts as I have learned so much from them. We see eye to eye on so many issues...some we don't.But that has been the beauty of this blog. Everyone is different and to each their own. Nobody right...nobody wrong.I wish you well in everything you do, you are a wonderful Doctor and a kind soul!
ReplyDeleteYour last post was an excellent summary of what you have been saying this past year. Your blogs have been stimulating, well-informed, and refreshingly politically incorrect. Thanks for all the writing over the last year and sharing what you've been reading, thinking, and doing. I have enjoyed regularly visiting this site.
ReplyDeleteDavid