Skip to main content

Life Update


I have resigned my medical staff privileges effective May 1. I have accepted a full time faculty position with UT Chattanooga and Erlanger Medical Center. There is some history here that deserves explanation.

After my transplant I have had two significant concerns. One is what to do with the gift of new life, the other how to obtain secure, stable health benefits. Repeatedly, in meditating on my future, my answer to its course was to teach. As a private practitioner I have touched many lives but there is also the reality of being a 'gerbil on a wheel'. Private practice is no different than sewing buttons on cards in the 1880s- the more buttons you sew, the more money you make. Private practice is a velvet lined trap, with increasing overhead and static or decreasing reimbursement. In order to maintain an income for my family, one is thus forced to do more and more, reducing the service qualities of medicine, and all but completely eliminating its intellectual sophistication.

The issue of stable health benefits is clearly best addressed by being employed with or through a large group. The overhead and regulatory aspects of practice are also best addressed this way, and so it is that physician employment is becoming much more common. I am the most active gyn surgeon on my hospital's staff. I am also the most cost effective. My practice is the largest delivering practice. I have significant additional training in minimally invasive surgery, endocrinology and ultrasound. These seem like credentials that would make me a desirable person for employment. And so it is that I have sought an employed position for more than 3 years. And here is where history starts.

I first approached a senior hospital administrator about further service opportunities, and potential employability, in September 2008. I was laughed at. In my face, literally. I let that go, and served as chief of staff, even as my renal failure reached the point of transplant evaluation and then the actual surgeries.

I have made repeatedly clear my interest in employment. I have had discussions on every level. There have been at least 4 sets of discussions over the last 2 years. I actually detailed these discussions originally, but they filled two pages with pointless words. Absolutely nothing has happened. Our call group is trying to form a single group, but without success thus far. I gave up on that process when two members went out and signed three year deals for EMR systems not favored by the hospital and not used by the MDs already on EMRs. While we have fiddled, another part of our system is rumored to have signed several ob/gyns. My partner and I made explicitly clear we were willing to be hired as a nidus for the department, and were turned down to pursue the talks with 6 that have been fruitless. The administration was made aware before declining us that I had another employment offer, and still they declined to employ me.

There can be no doubt then of the lack of interest. I saw than a program that wanted me, that values my skills and knowledge, and offers every advantage to me except that I must move. The alternative was a program that has repeatedly rejected me personally, and prolonged and pointless negotiations about employment. The choice was an obvious and happy one, and I am excited about where I am going.

I am an honor-based man. We generally measure a person's worth in the US by their income. For me, however, being treated with respect is as important to me as what I am paid. We often equate 'honor' with Christian abstemiousness, but I do not refer to the venial failings of men, wherein I am a lamentable failure. I refer to providing respect for others, and reciprocal service. And I have always been willing to serve first, to give value. I have felt profoundly dishonored by a system I have served honorably and willingly, and I have spent much of the last two years angry, offended and rather depressed. Now I feel happy and excited. And free.

I have no doubt the hospital will have no trouble replacing me. It is sobering to think, however, that I do 98% of my surgery laparoscopically, and I discharge all my hysterectomies the same day. I have seen the data: even as one administrator denigrated my practice payor mix as undesirable I was made aware that I do the most cost efficient surgery in my department. If my replacement does the same volume of surgery as I do but keeps them overnight, it will cost the hospital about 770,000.00 extra dollars. I could have been hired more than twice over for that sum. Instead, I will be teaching others, and developing cost efficient programs elsewhere. And I'm thrilled.

Vous etes digne de ce que vous avez faites.

Ted


Comments

  1. Dr.Tsaltas after reading your post I have to say I am saddened by your news. You've been my Doctor for over 10 years now and I have been completely satisfied with your care. You are a wonderful Doctor.I will miss being seen by you. I will try to see Dr. Tatum but it won't be the same. You shall truly missed by me and I sure countless others. But I understand you need to do what's best for you. I'm sure it was a tough decision. I'll never forget you and all you've done for me. All my best. Elizabeth Nelson P.S....I'll especially miss your wise and sometimes funny comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am sorry that you will be leaving, but happy for you as well. It sounds as though you are embarking on a new adventure full of promise. One that will value all that you have to offer. I pray that it will be everything you hope for, and that the transition will be a smooth one for your whole family. Blessings and all the best. You'll be missed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your comments only too well, especially since I was in private practice in the same hospital system where you are now finishing your time. You called it a gerbil in a wheel, and that was basically how I felt in private medical practice: like a rat running, running, running, in a round cage, and getting nowhere. In the end, the bottom line was production, a constant indentured servitude to the almighty dollar. Unfortunately, both patients and doctors are emotionally ill served in such a high turnover system.
    Now that you are leaving that system, you say you feel happy, excited, and free. I hope that feeling stays with you. I, too, felt those emotions on leaving the rat race over a decade ago and have never once regretted my decision to get out (in fact, it has been quite the opposite: I feel gratitude, happiness, and satisfaction with what life has brought me.)
    I am only sorry for the patients you will leave behind, some of whom will sorely miss your presence in K-ville. Yet what is loss for one city will be gain for another.
    Enjoy your time in Chattanooga - it's a lovely city and Erlanger is a fine place to work.

    David Graham

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Forgiveness

 In doing years of medical teaching, I have told students that teaching and learning are not directly related. I can teach and teach, but you may never learn. Conversely, you may learn continuously without me teaching you a thing. 'I teach' and 'you learn' are two separate, active processes that may overlap or coincide. The same is true of forgiveness. I am an unforgiving man. I am the very opposite of God, who is slow to anger and of great kindness. I am quick to anger and very slow to forgive. I'm kind and insightful with people generally, but when mistreated or insulted I am not kind at all, nor do I forget, or forgive.  The Bible tells us to do something else. We are told to forgive. In Matthew 18:21, Peter asks Jesus how often he should forgive his brother's sin. The Jewish standard was three times. Like the young man in the story of the Samaritan, who asks who his brother is in order to know to whom he should be loving, Peter appears to be asking for guida...

My Broken Tooth

 I broke a tooth today. I've done that before; I inherited my mother's horrible teeth, and if not for crowns I would have the smile of any drug-addicted homeless man in the street. But the tooth broke, rather than the crown coming off. I've had that happen a couple of times, and it's nothing. After all, the tooth is just fake, held on by cements similar to the ones I use for my models. This time, however, I have to have the root extracted so I can get the modern version of a bridge. And this new dental experience has reduced to me to jelly, this not helped by the condescending, sexist comments of the dental assistant. I have a long, longe memory, my first recollections coming from age 2. I have well-developed, detailed memories from age 3 onward. I vividly recall being at the dentiswt as a child, when it was fashionable to fill baby teeth. I can recall being left there by my mother as a 14 year old, on the day I was paid for working as 'the 5th ace' at Camp Maga...

Politically Correct Dishonor

The Biblical prophets warned aloud that devastation would come to those who were unclean. Those that profaned God and the house of God, those who were drunken, fornicators, idolators, those that cheated, that gave unclean offerings. Israel was warned of the consequences of their behavior. And God did not punish Israel. Rather, by walking away from God, Israel simply suffered the consequences of its behavior and choices. I chose, I chose , to live, to receive a transplant. I struggled to have the surgery that prolonged my life, I accepted the gift of a kidney from a whole person that I might live. I was convinced by family and friends that I had some role in the world, something I might contribute. And I believed that. My idea of contribution was to teach, to give to others what I had learned to do. But I have lived to see injustice. To see self-interest and greed triumph over not merely right but reason as well. I see incompetence passed off as expertise, the mundane as the s...