Skip to main content

Various Social and Political Thoughts

A wide variety of things are on my mind, and I really don't want to talk about the presidential race today. I said my piece a couple of weeks ago, and nothing much has changed. Lots of smaller items are on my mind.

I look at the stats for this blog. You're all very kind. Thank you for reading. There are 15 official followers (whatever that means) but many more page views. It is interesting, and perhaps alarmng, that Russia and China generate page views. Who is reading me in Russia?? Are these Secret Service mirror sites to avoid identification? Am I being tracked by SS, CIA, or others because of my socio-political views? I hope not. I have not threatened anyone except those attempting to cross our border illegally. Whatever.

Any remaining questions about Obama as socialist need to be tossed. Look at his campaign slogan. Forward. This was the slogan and cry for socialist labor from 1890 on. Their magazine was named 'Forward'. You're naive if you think this is a coincidence.

I increasingly think the best solution, described here before, is to just let the states vote on whether they wish to be democratic or republican. The democratic states would become 'Neuvo California' and the republican ones 'Republia' or whatever. After a state votes those who wish to leave can pick up and leave, just like India and Pakistan. The democrats liking this idea always insist that businesses and people would stay in the state, thus 'assigning' the aircraft industry etc to whatever state has it now. It really looks different if you let people move and go where they want. if Boeing could build anywhere they want, without the interference of the idiot Labor Board and unionized contracts they would be in South Caorlina so fast it would require their jets to transport them.

I love the line from 'Quills'- Is your God so weak that he cannot stand in  opposition to mine? Well, let's look at ideas. To parphrase, are your ideas so weak they cannot stand in opposition to mine? If the democrats' social policies and spending priorities are so good, then why are businesses expanding in republican states and why are people moving there? Ideas are a free market, as are people and labor, and they are all flowing to states run by republicans. If Washington state and their unions are so good for Boeing, why does it want to go to South Carolina? Right.

You know you've lived in the South a long time when you begin to feel the wrong side won the Civil War. Slavery was and is revolting. No questions there. But the states' rights issues lost in the war altered the balance of federal and state power forever, and in the wrong way. Slavery would have been ended anyway.

I love when a bureaucracy is inefficient and then blames the producers. Where I work there is currently a 30 million dollar deficit. Those of us hired to teach are told we are unproductive, that we create a deficit. Well... you're right, we do. Education takes time and is therefore inherently inefficient. But you can't have it two ways. You can't ask for efficiency and then boast of being a teaching institution. I personally can do a lap hyst in 60 minutes, start to finish, and have the patient home in 4 hours. Or I can teach someone, taking them through the steps, in 100 minutes, and the patient goes home the next day. What do you want?

But what really gets me is that after complaining that I don't make enough money and have to be more productive I see the summary stats on billing. Receivables show 40% older than 90 days (normal 2%). Billing is submitted on average in 35 days (normal 1). And their record keeping is so bad that we are shown doing 3 deliveries monthly. Uh, it's 40-50 people. And exactly how bad do you have to be to confuse those two numbers? This is a difference of an order of magnitude, of being off by 15 fold. Like syaing someone weighs 16 pounds when they weigh 250. that's confusing a 3 month old baby with an adult, overweight man. And then, in order to buy any piece of equipment, we need 6 signatures in 6 different offices including the CEO and the CFO.

Wow. How proud you must be. I want to look those people in the face and ask them 'Are you proud of what you have done?' Are you? Can you really ask for higher productivity from me, compromising the teaching effort for which I was brought here, when your efforts are execrable. Not just bad, or 'inefficient', but absolutely, spectaculalry bad. Any biller in a private office who did this bad would be summarily fired. You ask for private practice productivity from me? Go do it your damn self first!

And lastly, on a day of ranting, let's get a life about what is and is not harrassment or inappropriate behavior. If a man compliments a woman on her appearance, that is not harrassment. We can all think of ways this is done that is harrassment, but simply saying 'you look great', or 'really nice skirt' is not harrassment. Asking a person to dinner is not a request for sex, just company. If you don't want to go, don't go. But making a federal case out of it is just weakness. Or spite. And when you complain about being held back by the glass ceiling, or sexism, you might just look at the size and weight of the chip on your shoulder. Maybe it's your attitude and not your sex that are the impediment.

OK, ranting over. Next time I will return to a more organized essay.

Ted

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Forgiveness

 In doing years of medical teaching, I have told students that teaching and learning are not directly related. I can teach and teach, but you may never learn. Conversely, you may learn continuously without me teaching you a thing. 'I teach' and 'you learn' are two separate, active processes that may overlap or coincide. The same is true of forgiveness. I am an unforgiving man. I am the very opposite of God, who is slow to anger and of great kindness. I am quick to anger and very slow to forgive. I'm kind and insightful with people generally, but when mistreated or insulted I am not kind at all, nor do I forget, or forgive.  The Bible tells us to do something else. We are told to forgive. In Matthew 18:21, Peter asks Jesus how often he should forgive his brother's sin. The Jewish standard was three times. Like the young man in the story of the Samaritan, who asks who his brother is in order to know to whom he should be loving, Peter appears to be asking for guida...

My Broken Tooth

 I broke a tooth today. I've done that before; I inherited my mother's horrible teeth, and if not for crowns I would have the smile of any drug-addicted homeless man in the street. But the tooth broke, rather than the crown coming off. I've had that happen a couple of times, and it's nothing. After all, the tooth is just fake, held on by cements similar to the ones I use for my models. This time, however, I have to have the root extracted so I can get the modern version of a bridge. And this new dental experience has reduced to me to jelly, this not helped by the condescending, sexist comments of the dental assistant. I have a long, longe memory, my first recollections coming from age 2. I have well-developed, detailed memories from age 3 onward. I vividly recall being at the dentiswt as a child, when it was fashionable to fill baby teeth. I can recall being left there by my mother as a 14 year old, on the day I was paid for working as 'the 5th ace' at Camp Maga...

Politically Correct Dishonor

The Biblical prophets warned aloud that devastation would come to those who were unclean. Those that profaned God and the house of God, those who were drunken, fornicators, idolators, those that cheated, that gave unclean offerings. Israel was warned of the consequences of their behavior. And God did not punish Israel. Rather, by walking away from God, Israel simply suffered the consequences of its behavior and choices. I chose, I chose , to live, to receive a transplant. I struggled to have the surgery that prolonged my life, I accepted the gift of a kidney from a whole person that I might live. I was convinced by family and friends that I had some role in the world, something I might contribute. And I believed that. My idea of contribution was to teach, to give to others what I had learned to do. But I have lived to see injustice. To see self-interest and greed triumph over not merely right but reason as well. I see incompetence passed off as expertise, the mundane as the s...