Skip to main content

Medical 'Miracles'

Please watch this video from CNN-

CNN video

I spent some time looking up both micrognathia (an underdeveloped jaw) and syndromes without a lower jaw at all (like the video). There is quite a difference despite society's obvious tendency to lump all facial anomalies together.

Micrognathia is strongly associated with Trisomy 13 and 18, both of which are lethal and which are associated with mental retardation and an 85% incidence of cardiac defects. An absent jaw, and the findings in this child, are compatible with Treacher Collins syndrome. These individuals have no lower jaw, no external or middle ears, conductive hearing loss and various secondary problems with swallowing and breathing, but are intellectually normal.

Syndromes of this kind are the type of problem that tests society's concepts of God and medical coverage. In the video the mother says, with a beatific smile, that they decided to 'let God decide' what would happen with their baby. Except they didn't. They have had 11 surgeries to date, including a tracheotomy and a gastric feeding tube. That does not sound like the will of God to me. That sounds like the will of parents, and the intervention of a very sophisticated, and a very expensive, health system.

Did the parents pay for any of this? No, of course not. Although the issue of payment for care was not raised in the video I think we can be certain they paid for none of it. We did, via Medicaid or Medicare. For most infants with chronic conditions like this, and for most infants who have a long stay in a NICU, Medicaid or Medicare are brought on board to pay for the care.

On the one hand I am all for this. This is exactly the sort of life, work and relationship destroying medical problem where societal coverage eases an unsustainable burden. On the other hand, society can not pay for everything for everyone always. A child with this number of handicaps will require lifelong care and extensive surgeries of the most specialized type. It is a fair question to sak what return on cost society will get for paying for all this.

This question is all the more appropriate when normal intelligence is involved. If this child had Trisomy 13 she would be long dead, and there would be no debate about care coverage. But this child is of normal intelligence, and via implantable hearing aids has the chance to hear normally as well. So we, collectively, must ask, what is the cost we are willing to pay for an individual life?

That is a terrible question to ask. The intrinsic and immediate answer is that life can not be quantified in monetary terms, that we should do all we can for any living person. We all feel that way, or at least we all should feel that way. But we all make judgements about life in monetary terms, whether we notice it or not. The very simplest, done every day, is valuing a person in terms of a salary. No one believes Peyton Manning is an intrinsically more important human than a janitor, but Manning makes a janitor's yearly pay every single day.

We give monetary value to life when assessing damages in court for  death or injury. This seems easier morally, because the money is a compensation for wrong, not a valuation for existing normal life. In a very crude sense we have measured the monetary value of a life when buying slaves, but no one does this any more.

In a time when our society has decided that health care is a societal right, we will have to decide what a life is worth. This child has received well over a million dollars in care, likely more than 2 million dollars. In social terms, that is a lot of healthy care, a lot of vaccines, a lot of deliveries, all to keep alive one person with a autosomal dominant, and therefore inheritable, genetic defect which will require millions more in surgery and care.

We can sidestep this issue if we make all care privatized, but we have decided that is too cruel (it is too cruel). The moment society pays for care it is the responsibility of society to decide what care for which it will pay. It is monetarily and morally irresponsible to duck that duty by simply saying we will pay for everything. We can't do that, and therefore we must choose.

That is the province of God, but we have usurped it.

It is so appealing to take care of everyone's problems, until you have to choose how to do it and how to pay for it. This child is a sad but intense example of the problem. We as a society chose socialized care. Now we have to face the hard choices that come with that.

Ted

Comments

  1. I would love to hear what the health care system authorities in Great Britain (or any country that rations health care) would say about this case. It is a great case study that should make us ask, "Just how much are we as a society willing to pay for?" All the questions you ask in this blog are important ones to consider. Unfortunately, relatively few people want to address this issue...but we cannot ignore it forever because increasingly expensive coverage of ObamaCare/Medicaid butts heads with the increasing U.S. National debt. Something has to give: either put limits on what we as a society will pay for or else continue piling debt upon debt...with all the problems that will come from this.

    -D-

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Forgiveness

 In doing years of medical teaching, I have told students that teaching and learning are not directly related. I can teach and teach, but you may never learn. Conversely, you may learn continuously without me teaching you a thing. 'I teach' and 'you learn' are two separate, active processes that may overlap or coincide. The same is true of forgiveness. I am an unforgiving man. I am the very opposite of God, who is slow to anger and of great kindness. I am quick to anger and very slow to forgive. I'm kind and insightful with people generally, but when mistreated or insulted I am not kind at all, nor do I forget, or forgive.  The Bible tells us to do something else. We are told to forgive. In Matthew 18:21, Peter asks Jesus how often he should forgive his brother's sin. The Jewish standard was three times. Like the young man in the story of the Samaritan, who asks who his brother is in order to know to whom he should be loving, Peter appears to be asking for guida...

My Broken Tooth

 I broke a tooth today. I've done that before; I inherited my mother's horrible teeth, and if not for crowns I would have the smile of any drug-addicted homeless man in the street. But the tooth broke, rather than the crown coming off. I've had that happen a couple of times, and it's nothing. After all, the tooth is just fake, held on by cements similar to the ones I use for my models. This time, however, I have to have the root extracted so I can get the modern version of a bridge. And this new dental experience has reduced to me to jelly, this not helped by the condescending, sexist comments of the dental assistant. I have a long, longe memory, my first recollections coming from age 2. I have well-developed, detailed memories from age 3 onward. I vividly recall being at the dentiswt as a child, when it was fashionable to fill baby teeth. I can recall being left there by my mother as a 14 year old, on the day I was paid for working as 'the 5th ace' at Camp Maga...

Politically Correct Dishonor

The Biblical prophets warned aloud that devastation would come to those who were unclean. Those that profaned God and the house of God, those who were drunken, fornicators, idolators, those that cheated, that gave unclean offerings. Israel was warned of the consequences of their behavior. And God did not punish Israel. Rather, by walking away from God, Israel simply suffered the consequences of its behavior and choices. I chose, I chose , to live, to receive a transplant. I struggled to have the surgery that prolonged my life, I accepted the gift of a kidney from a whole person that I might live. I was convinced by family and friends that I had some role in the world, something I might contribute. And I believed that. My idea of contribution was to teach, to give to others what I had learned to do. But I have lived to see injustice. To see self-interest and greed triumph over not merely right but reason as well. I see incompetence passed off as expertise, the mundane as the s...