People often talk of 'words they live by'. Except in this blog, I explain myself with a variety of quotes from books and movies. Those are the words I use to explain my feelings. From time to time I have said I am best understood by a process of subtraction, those things that are important to me being the ones I do not talk about. The phrases below are ones that express my feelings and/or that have been important in forming my values.
-Esse quam videre - to be rather than to seem to be, the motto of my school
-Come nearer, that you may die faster- Achilles, from the Iliad
-You dogs! You thought I would never come home from Troy! You have been carving up my substance, forcing the women of the house to lie with you, courting my wife before I was dead, fearing neither the gods in heaven nor the execration of man that follows you forever! And now the cords of death are made fast about you all!- Odysseus, the Odyssey
-So it was not merely the stars that he had aspired to that night! He came alive to me suddenly, delivered from the womb of his purposeless splendor.- Nick, The Great Gatsby
-Do you really want to jump? Because that's fine with me.- Lethal Weapon
-Everybody dies, you know I believe it, so don't fuck with me!- Terminator 2
-With every word, with every gesture, the Don made Luca Brasi feel valued- The Godfather
-'I know my hair is not correct, and I don't know how to use swords. But I will learn Anjin-san, oh yes, I will will learn. If you will accept me, I will serve you.' 'What does it matter, Uraga-san. I accept you.'
-'We know the purpose of life, no?' 'Yes.' 'What is it?' 'Duty, Discipline and death.'
-If the truth is clear, then what is the use of meditation? And what if the truth is hidden? Then it's already clear.- all from Shogun
-Remember, passerby, that here the Spartans remained faithful to their laws- monument at Thermopylae
-You think you know yourself? you don't know yourself.- Crash
-They say there's no devil Jim, but there is. I've seen it.- Commodore Decker, Star Trek
-Now you listen to me, shit-kicker. Don't go mistaking me for some whole other body. You must have your brains in your dick if you think we're going to pack up and leave.- Mississippi Burning
-Don't give me that parlor socialism you learned in the village. If you were mine I wouldn't share you with anyone or anything. It would be just you and me, and you'd be at the center of it all. And it would feel a lot more like love than being left alone with your work.- Reds
-You see, I have a disease that tells me that I don't have a disease- Traffic
-'I want you to sign it, colonel. I want the name of a man I can respect on my diploma.' He handed back to me and said 'there already is, bubba, there already is.' And he pointed to my name.- The Lords of Discipline
-Please! Don't do this. Stop yelling at me!- from Boogie Nights
-In Perelandra I learned war. In this age Lurga shall descend. I am the Pendragon.- That Hideous Strength
-Your ship. Your world. Everything you knew, is gone.- Star Trek
-Albus Severus, you are named after two headmasters of Hogwarts, and one of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I've ever known- One of many moments from Harry Potter
-If you then, bad as you are, know how to give your children good gifts how much more so your father in heaven?
-And remember I am with you always, even to the end of time.
-And I heard a great voice saying 'Now is the dwelling of God with Men. He shall dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. He shall wipe every tear from their eye, and there shall be an end to mourning, and crying, and pain. For the old order is washed away.'
This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it. -these and numerous other items from the Bible
-Hate your enemies. Save your friends. Find your place. Speak the truth. What is wrong with me? What is wrong with me? What is wrong with me?- Nirvana
-He's beginning to believe.- The Matrix
-'Obi-Wan never told you about your father.' 'He told me enough. He told me you killed him.' 'No. I am your father.'-Star Wars V
-It works, it works! I finally invented something that works!- Back to the Future
-Thou foul, elvish-marked, abortive rooting hog! Thou slander of thy heavy mother's womb! Thou loathed issue of thy father's loins! Thou rag of honor!- Richard III
-Solo, difforme, povero. Per compassion mi amo.- Alone, deformed, poor. In compassion she loved me.- Rigoletto
In my time of dying don't want nobody to mourn
All I want for you to do is come and take my body home
So that I can die easy.
Meet me Jesus, meet me. Meet me in the middle of the air
If my wings should fail below please meet me with another pair.
So that I can die easy.
St Peter! At the gates of heaven, won't you let me in?
I never did no wrong
Oh Gabriel! Let me blow your horn
I never did no wrong
I only made the young ones
I never tried to anybody no wrong, no no harm, sir.
I must have did somebody some good
I must have did somebody some good
I see the smiling faces
I know I must have lipstick traces
And I see them in the streets!
And I see them in the fields!
And I see the men under my feet!
And I know it has to be real!
Oh Lord deliver me from the wrong I've done
You can deliver me Lord, I only wanted to have some fun
-Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti
-But when that which is perfect is come, that which is partial shall be done away.- the Bible
-Get your mother for me. And remember, I always love you.
This is a very hard and stressful time, with moving and selling our home. We are all suffering a little, and most more than a little. Just a window into what I'm thinking, for whatever that's worth.
Ted
-Esse quam videre - to be rather than to seem to be, the motto of my school
-Come nearer, that you may die faster- Achilles, from the Iliad
-You dogs! You thought I would never come home from Troy! You have been carving up my substance, forcing the women of the house to lie with you, courting my wife before I was dead, fearing neither the gods in heaven nor the execration of man that follows you forever! And now the cords of death are made fast about you all!- Odysseus, the Odyssey
-So it was not merely the stars that he had aspired to that night! He came alive to me suddenly, delivered from the womb of his purposeless splendor.- Nick, The Great Gatsby
-Do you really want to jump? Because that's fine with me.- Lethal Weapon
-Everybody dies, you know I believe it, so don't fuck with me!- Terminator 2
-With every word, with every gesture, the Don made Luca Brasi feel valued- The Godfather
-'I know my hair is not correct, and I don't know how to use swords. But I will learn Anjin-san, oh yes, I will will learn. If you will accept me, I will serve you.' 'What does it matter, Uraga-san. I accept you.'
-'We know the purpose of life, no?' 'Yes.' 'What is it?' 'Duty, Discipline and death.'
-If the truth is clear, then what is the use of meditation? And what if the truth is hidden? Then it's already clear.- all from Shogun
-Remember, passerby, that here the Spartans remained faithful to their laws- monument at Thermopylae
-You think you know yourself? you don't know yourself.- Crash
-They say there's no devil Jim, but there is. I've seen it.- Commodore Decker, Star Trek
-Now you listen to me, shit-kicker. Don't go mistaking me for some whole other body. You must have your brains in your dick if you think we're going to pack up and leave.- Mississippi Burning
-Don't give me that parlor socialism you learned in the village. If you were mine I wouldn't share you with anyone or anything. It would be just you and me, and you'd be at the center of it all. And it would feel a lot more like love than being left alone with your work.- Reds
-You see, I have a disease that tells me that I don't have a disease- Traffic
-'I want you to sign it, colonel. I want the name of a man I can respect on my diploma.' He handed back to me and said 'there already is, bubba, there already is.' And he pointed to my name.- The Lords of Discipline
-Please! Don't do this. Stop yelling at me!- from Boogie Nights
-In Perelandra I learned war. In this age Lurga shall descend. I am the Pendragon.- That Hideous Strength
-Your ship. Your world. Everything you knew, is gone.- Star Trek
-Albus Severus, you are named after two headmasters of Hogwarts, and one of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I've ever known- One of many moments from Harry Potter
-If you then, bad as you are, know how to give your children good gifts how much more so your father in heaven?
-And remember I am with you always, even to the end of time.
-And I heard a great voice saying 'Now is the dwelling of God with Men. He shall dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. He shall wipe every tear from their eye, and there shall be an end to mourning, and crying, and pain. For the old order is washed away.'
This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it. -these and numerous other items from the Bible
-Hate your enemies. Save your friends. Find your place. Speak the truth. What is wrong with me? What is wrong with me? What is wrong with me?- Nirvana
-He's beginning to believe.- The Matrix
-'Obi-Wan never told you about your father.' 'He told me enough. He told me you killed him.' 'No. I am your father.'-Star Wars V
-It works, it works! I finally invented something that works!- Back to the Future
-Thou foul, elvish-marked, abortive rooting hog! Thou slander of thy heavy mother's womb! Thou loathed issue of thy father's loins! Thou rag of honor!- Richard III
-Solo, difforme, povero. Per compassion mi amo.- Alone, deformed, poor. In compassion she loved me.- Rigoletto
In my time of dying don't want nobody to mourn
All I want for you to do is come and take my body home
So that I can die easy.
Meet me Jesus, meet me. Meet me in the middle of the air
If my wings should fail below please meet me with another pair.
So that I can die easy.
St Peter! At the gates of heaven, won't you let me in?
I never did no wrong
Oh Gabriel! Let me blow your horn
I never did no wrong
I only made the young ones
I never tried to anybody no wrong, no no harm, sir.
I must have did somebody some good
I must have did somebody some good
I see the smiling faces
I know I must have lipstick traces
And I see them in the streets!
And I see them in the fields!
And I see the men under my feet!
And I know it has to be real!
Oh Lord deliver me from the wrong I've done
You can deliver me Lord, I only wanted to have some fun
-Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti
-But when that which is perfect is come, that which is partial shall be done away.- the Bible
-Get your mother for me. And remember, I always love you.
This is a very hard and stressful time, with moving and selling our home. We are all suffering a little, and most more than a little. Just a window into what I'm thinking, for whatever that's worth.
Ted
Comments
Post a Comment