Skip to main content

Why I Vote Republican

I have been thinking about this post for weeks. I have many liberal friends and acquaintances, and they are all horrified that I voted for Trump. I have said many times that I have voted for exactly three Republicans for president in my life. All other elections, from 1976 on, I voted Democrat. Why then will I never vote for a Democrat again, absent major party change?

Like Reagan, I did not leave the Democratic Party, it left me. I am a socially liberal man. I support complete, open speech on the internet and everywhere. I favor complete legalization of all drugs, pornography and prostitution. I favor legal abortion. I do not support gay marriage on semantic grounds, but I could not care less with whom you have sex, and I don't think your choice(s) is(are) a sin, immoral or unnatural. I am a singer and strongly support the arts. I am highly educated and literate, and appreciate well written things.

Everything about my values suggests I would be a Democrat, but I'm not. Why?

I was 10 in the Summer of Love, and 12 during the riots of 1969. I watched the Democratic Convention in Chicago in 1968.  I watched sit-ins, the closings of universities, loud and ugly marches, civil rights riots, arrests, burning, looting. I have listened to and read the various manifestos of the Students for a Democratic Society, the Black Panthers, the Yippies, and other groups.

For me the corollary of freedom is public responsibility for order, not enforced by police, but by common standards of decency. I watch liberals using the methods and rhetoric straight out of the 60s. This repelled me then and it still does. All the shouting, labeling, and disorder, all unnecessary and counter-productive. I don't want anything to do with those methods.

I am disgusted by identity politics. I was raised to consider all people equal, to be judged by their abilities and their manners. I don't care if the doctor who treats me is male or female, black or white or asian, gay or straight. I care they are kind and capable. Any type of admission or hiring that uses race, sex or any social identifier at all is biased. My medical school boasted it had admitted 50% male and 50% female students. I asked why this was something of which to be proud. I want them to admit the best, regardless of sex. Merit-based activities do not consider social markers. The NFL does not have a racial mix it must fulfill, neither do orchestras.

Bias cannot be judged by outcomes. Our government considers all people equal before the Law, and guarantees equal opportunity. It does not guarantee equal outcomes. Democrats consider any outcome difference as evidence of bias, since everyone must do equally well if equally treated. That fails ab initio in physical, musical and hand skill positions. It fails the same way for intellect and effort. I can think of many very capable people whose effort and character led to a lesser position and achievement (Ryan Leaf vs Peyton Manning anyone?). That is not bias, and differential outcomes by race, income and neighborhood are not a priori evidence of discrimination.

I am sick to death of hearing about abortion rights, and transgender bathroom access. The paranoia over abortion controls party choices of judges and candidates. The chair of the DNC recently said you can't be a Democrat without being pro-choice. It is perfectly insane to have biological males using women's bathrooms and vice-versa. It is so patently stupid it defies belief, and yet that is the position of Democrats. Even though I largely support the Democratic social agenda, I can't stand the stridency, and the catering to extreme, tiny fringe groups in the name of 'equality'.

I strongly support free speech. This of course does not mean freedom from the consequences of what you say. It does mean that those of opposing views must be able to speak. But one liberal group after another simply labels the opinions of those with whom they disagree as 'hate speech', and silence them. In their fanatic quest for 'fairness' these people are in fact new McCarthyites, suppressing speech and defaming people in the name of their own values. I am disgusted by this approach, and cannot vote to support it.

In 2003 I watched the National Abortion Rights March in DC. I saw one group after another that would hate me because I am a successful, white man. I deeply resent that. I am being judged by my race and sex every bit as much as any black person or woman. My anger at this kind of discriminatory behavior prevents me from voting to support such people's agenda.

These are the reasons I will not vote for a Democrat. It is not simply the candidate, it is the behavior of too many Democrats in society, academia, and the media. They are strident, grossly biased, angry, aggressive, rude, hostile. They are everything I think is wrong in behavior and thought. If I vote for a Democratic candidate, I am endorsing the behavior of people whose behavior repels me.

In their soul searching over the 2016 election loss, I have seen many Democrats put forth every excuse- Russian collusion, Comey's investigation, misogyny, sexual bias, ignorance. Everything except the fact that the candidate was historically bad and the behavior of her supporters offensive. Look in the mirror for the reasons for your loss. You lost voters like me, a socially liberal, educated man who by 'rights' ought to support you.

When you can win back people like me, you will again be relevant. Until then, I will not vote for any Democratic candidate.

For a similar argument in different terms, see this link- http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/womans-top-10-reasons-i-am-no-longer-a-leftist-goes-viral. I am not alone in my feelings.


Ted

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Forgiveness

 In doing years of medical teaching, I have told students that teaching and learning are not directly related. I can teach and teach, but you may never learn. Conversely, you may learn continuously without me teaching you a thing. 'I teach' and 'you learn' are two separate, active processes that may overlap or coincide. The same is true of forgiveness. I am an unforgiving man. I am the very opposite of God, who is slow to anger and of great kindness. I am quick to anger and very slow to forgive. I'm kind and insightful with people generally, but when mistreated or insulted I am not kind at all, nor do I forget, or forgive.  The Bible tells us to do something else. We are told to forgive. In Matthew 18:21, Peter asks Jesus how often he should forgive his brother's sin. The Jewish standard was three times. Like the young man in the story of the Samaritan, who asks who his brother is in order to know to whom he should be loving, Peter appears to be asking for guida...

My Broken Tooth

 I broke a tooth today. I've done that before; I inherited my mother's horrible teeth, and if not for crowns I would have the smile of any drug-addicted homeless man in the street. But the tooth broke, rather than the crown coming off. I've had that happen a couple of times, and it's nothing. After all, the tooth is just fake, held on by cements similar to the ones I use for my models. This time, however, I have to have the root extracted so I can get the modern version of a bridge. And this new dental experience has reduced to me to jelly, this not helped by the condescending, sexist comments of the dental assistant. I have a long, longe memory, my first recollections coming from age 2. I have well-developed, detailed memories from age 3 onward. I vividly recall being at the dentiswt as a child, when it was fashionable to fill baby teeth. I can recall being left there by my mother as a 14 year old, on the day I was paid for working as 'the 5th ace' at Camp Maga...

Politically Correct Dishonor

The Biblical prophets warned aloud that devastation would come to those who were unclean. Those that profaned God and the house of God, those who were drunken, fornicators, idolators, those that cheated, that gave unclean offerings. Israel was warned of the consequences of their behavior. And God did not punish Israel. Rather, by walking away from God, Israel simply suffered the consequences of its behavior and choices. I chose, I chose , to live, to receive a transplant. I struggled to have the surgery that prolonged my life, I accepted the gift of a kidney from a whole person that I might live. I was convinced by family and friends that I had some role in the world, something I might contribute. And I believed that. My idea of contribution was to teach, to give to others what I had learned to do. But I have lived to see injustice. To see self-interest and greed triumph over not merely right but reason as well. I see incompetence passed off as expertise, the mundane as the s...