Skip to main content

Heartbreak Warfare

Kavanaugh got confirmed. This has left one portion of the country delighted, and one portion outraged. Not disappointed, or resigned. Outraged. The response to Kavanaugh's confirmation exceeds that from any other political decision, even the upset over the one-sided passage of the ACA. The nature of the response is different from anything I have ever seen. It is, however, only an extension of what has been happening since November, 2016.

One of the triumphs of American government is that power transfer has been peaceful and orderly. The one exception was Lincoln's election, which prompted southern secession and the Civil War. Trump's victory produced an outpouring of disbelief, shock and repugnance beyond anything I have ever seen. It went from tears to sarcasm, to mourning, and now to actions that are emotionally entitled, intellectually false, and both emotionally and physically violent.

Trump's inauguration was marred by protesters in masks breaking windows, closing streets, and physically barring people from attending. These people rapidly evolved into the Anti-fa. This group and its congeners have shut down speeches and campus appearances and gotten into multiple violent clashes with Republicans and police alike.

There is a fixed, false belief the election was stolen because Clinton got more popular votes. As noted in this blog, that is as common an occurrence as a landslide win, and that is part of our governmental design. We are a federated republic, NOT a democracy. The national election is 50 separate state elections, not one big voter pool. This prevents one group from winning simply by winning a couple of large states or areas. Democrats keep trying to ignore this, and when things don't go their way they talk about changing our political system. Democrats have proposed, repeatedly, moving to a popular vote for president. In the wake of Kavanaugh they now speak of adding two justices to the Supreme Court, to 'restore balance'.

There is no balance. Justices are appointed by the president to suit his values and purposes. The justices are not political although they do have interpretations of our laws. It is not the court that is political, it is the gulf between our parties that has rendered court appointees radically different in judicial philosophy.

Much more troubling are the calls for personal violence and interference by Democratic lawmakers. Maxine Waters asks people to hound Republicans in restaurants and their homes. Threats have been made against families and children. One person shot Republican lawmakers at a charity baseball game. Republicans have been grabbed, hit, screamed at and had things thrown at them by, and with the encouragement of, Democrats.

Christina Ford's appearance was manipulated by Diane Feinstein, who withheld a letter from her Republican colleagues in the name of privacy even while sharing it with Democrats, who urged her to release it to the entire committee. Ford's testimony has been as dissected, and substantially discredited, including outright lies about claustrophobia, fear of flying and the reason for two doors at her home, and her attempt to get her friend to change her testimony. In case there was any doubt about the political set-up, the people coaching Ford (and she was coached) were formerly part of Clinton's campaign. Schumer announced from the beginning he was opposed to Kavanaugh before knowing anything about him. Note here that every major false allegation of rape- Tawana Brawley, UVA, Duke LaCrosse- has been made by and/or enthusiastically and uncritically accepted by Democrats.

Maneuvering within political process for party gain is an old trick long practiced by both parties when in the majority. Republicans used the Senate to prevent Garland from being voted upon. It was a dirty trick, but entirely within the frame of Senate rules. It is a new and frightening thing to watch attempts at personal destruction in the name of political gain. Attacking candidates' personal lives and honor is new, despicable and dangerous.

It is worth recalling how we got here. Democrats began declining to vote upon Bush 2's nominees. Republicans returned the favor, leading Democrats, when back in the majority, to end filibusters for all but SCOTUS nominees. When Democrats simply denounced Gorsuch on party lines, Republicans promptly ended the filibuster for SCOTUS picks. Given the political antagonism and manipulations, each side now views the other's nominees as radical and dangerous when they are not. It is Democrats who have been most aggressive this way, voting nearly en bloc against Gorsuch and Kavanaugh while Republicans voted for Sotomayor (68-31) and Kagan (63-37).

Democrats have staged a sit-in on the congressional floor in 2016, and generally seem to have brought the techniques of street protest into national politics. They have engaged in violence against society and individuals. They have made the most scurrilous personal attacks in an obviously under-handed way. This has nothing to do with believing victims of sexual violence. It does not even have anything directly to do with Brett Kavanaugh. It is the result of one party being willing to do wrong and harm people in pursuit of its goals.

One person has likened these events to those preceding the American Revolution. That is an odd comparison, when as recently as three years ago Democrats were delighted with our governmental system. This isn't a revolution. It's a temper tantrum by people so sure they are right they cannot accept that someone else won. The 'winner' of the November elections is irrelevant; If Democrats win control of the House, their only agenda will be to block Trump. If they do not win control they will surely continue their violent and manipulative tactics.

This isn't even about politics any more. It is now about civility, and the survival of our system of government. Democrats claim Republicans are destroying it. Like much else they have said in the last two years, that too is a manipulation and distortion. Democrats are intent on destroying our system simply to win. It is heartbreaking, but it is warfare for our values and survival.

Ted


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Forgiveness

 In doing years of medical teaching, I have told students that teaching and learning are not directly related. I can teach and teach, but you may never learn. Conversely, you may learn continuously without me teaching you a thing. 'I teach' and 'you learn' are two separate, active processes that may overlap or coincide. The same is true of forgiveness. I am an unforgiving man. I am the very opposite of God, who is slow to anger and of great kindness. I am quick to anger and very slow to forgive. I'm kind and insightful with people generally, but when mistreated or insulted I am not kind at all, nor do I forget, or forgive.  The Bible tells us to do something else. We are told to forgive. In Matthew 18:21, Peter asks Jesus how often he should forgive his brother's sin. The Jewish standard was three times. Like the young man in the story of the Samaritan, who asks who his brother is in order to know to whom he should be loving, Peter appears to be asking for guida...

My Broken Tooth

 I broke a tooth today. I've done that before; I inherited my mother's horrible teeth, and if not for crowns I would have the smile of any drug-addicted homeless man in the street. But the tooth broke, rather than the crown coming off. I've had that happen a couple of times, and it's nothing. After all, the tooth is just fake, held on by cements similar to the ones I use for my models. This time, however, I have to have the root extracted so I can get the modern version of a bridge. And this new dental experience has reduced to me to jelly, this not helped by the condescending, sexist comments of the dental assistant. I have a long, longe memory, my first recollections coming from age 2. I have well-developed, detailed memories from age 3 onward. I vividly recall being at the dentiswt as a child, when it was fashionable to fill baby teeth. I can recall being left there by my mother as a 14 year old, on the day I was paid for working as 'the 5th ace' at Camp Maga...

Politically Correct Dishonor

The Biblical prophets warned aloud that devastation would come to those who were unclean. Those that profaned God and the house of God, those who were drunken, fornicators, idolators, those that cheated, that gave unclean offerings. Israel was warned of the consequences of their behavior. And God did not punish Israel. Rather, by walking away from God, Israel simply suffered the consequences of its behavior and choices. I chose, I chose , to live, to receive a transplant. I struggled to have the surgery that prolonged my life, I accepted the gift of a kidney from a whole person that I might live. I was convinced by family and friends that I had some role in the world, something I might contribute. And I believed that. My idea of contribution was to teach, to give to others what I had learned to do. But I have lived to see injustice. To see self-interest and greed triumph over not merely right but reason as well. I see incompetence passed off as expertise, the mundane as the s...