Skip to main content

Trans-genderism

 I haven't written a post in 11 weeks, one of the longest pauses in this blog in the 11 years I've been writing it. The reason is I feel so strongly about so many current issues that I cannot write objectively. I cannot decathect to write objectively. A recent email conversation, however, has encouraged me to write those feelings, even if I cannot use the language of reason and calm.

I continue to be appalled at many social and political choices being made in the US. Over the next few weeks I will address several of these that are particularly troubling to me. Today it's transgenderism.

I received this article by email, and sent it on to two articulate, intelligent friends for their thoughts. It is short, and you can read it here-

This article manages in one, short essay to cover virtually everything I find offensive and just plain wrong about today's gender discussion, as well as with some larger social assertions.

The following excerpts are particularly off-putting.

"I believe abortion can be a very empowering experience, and for many of my patients, the solidarity between women is a part of that."
      I've performed abortions, and listened to women who have had them. I have never, one time, spoken with a woman who felt 'empowered' by it in any way. Abortion is not a political act of womanly solidarity, nor is it empowering. It is, most often, an act of sadness and desperation that no one, even the woman herself, celebrates.

"People with uteruses"
      REALLY??? People with uteruses are women. Only women have uteruses. The trangender 'community' attempts to broaden the definition of woman to include men who are gender confused. They justify their terminology by noting that men with mullerian inhibitory factor deficiency often have a uterus and tubes in an inguinal hernia sac, thus justifying the claim that not only women have uteruses. 

Except that really, truly, among adults only women have a uterus. XX women. Real women. 

"A great deal of what we, as medical providers, do to people in gynecological care was developed through violence, intentional abuse, and oppression of women of color. This legacy, rooted in white supremacy, is especially on my mind when providing reproductive care."
       If you mean that poor women of all races received experimental procedures and drugs, you're right. That was the ethos of the day, and condemning it on the basis of modern sensibilities is invalid. We take advantage of all kinds of advances created by people who today would be condemned or canceled. Millions drive Fords, but Ford was an open anti-Semite and Hitler supporter. We benefit from vaccines and antibiotics developed virtually exclusively by white men who would not socialize with a black man, working at schools who would never think of admitting a Negro as student, faculty, or patient. 

As far as being rooted in white supremacy, that's the worst kind of sloganeering. Perhaps the author should put forward the glorious achievements of Africa, the Caribbean, and trans peoples and compare them with the legacy of accomplishment by white men. I'm so sick of male and white bashing I could scream.

The language of 'oppression' gets trundled out as a selective bludgeon of convenience. Its use joins claims of racism, sexism, and Hitler comparisons as a card that can be played only once, and that discredits the speaker forever.

"But what I cannot make space for is being misgendered by my colleagues."
       As I see it, you're pretending to be something you're not. I identify you on the basis of what you phenotypically appear to be.

"There has been a concerted effort by some in the reproductive rights movement to make abortion more gender inclusive."
       See above. You have to be kidding. Only WOMEN get pregnant. Real, actual, biological women. I don't care if you're taking testosterone and identify as a man. This has entered medicine in the most ridiculous ways. OBGs are expected to provide care for trans 'women', which means doing prostate exams and getting PSAs on 'women'. Unbelievable.

Now, ignoring my personal revulsion at the tone and content of the piece, a few thoughts....

Transgenderism has an interesting history. It is first mentioned as a psychiatric disorder in 1949. It was not until 1980 that it entered the DSM as an 'official' psychiatric diagnosis. From 1949 until now the findings have been socialized and normalized. Among the changes reflecting this are the term gender dysphoria instead of transgenderism. The DSM notes-

    "The presence of gender variance is not the pathology but dysphoria is from the        distress caused by the body and mind not aligning and/or societal   
     marginalization of gender-variant people. It needs to be ego-dystonic to qualify        as a diagnosis.."

Transgenderism, or officially gender dysphoria, has an established medical history. It occurs in about 1/10,000 men, and is found almost exclusively in men. In the last 15 years there has been a startling change in what is called transgenderism. TWO PERCENT of girls between ages 11 and 17 now identify as trans, a ridiculous number. At the same time the number identifying as lesbian, like transgenderism itself a heretofore stable number, has declined markedly.

These abrupt changes have occurred in the setting of a drastic change in how sexuality is addressed in schools. The sexual archetypes being used to describe masulinity and femininity are cliches. Masculine is liking trucks, violence, climbing trees, sports. Feminine is liking music, art, books. By those standards I am transgender. These insane standards began being used in California, and have spread through teachers' unions across the nation. They are obviously implemented to various degrees and in various ways, but generally speaking there has been a startling, pasteboard set of images used to teach 'sexuality'.

Now a little bit based on REI training. The word gender is being misused. What is being discussed is actually sex of identification and sex role, not gender. Genotype is established at the moment of conception, XY or XX. The 'trans community' has co-opted rare chromosomal abnormalities as 'proof' of the biological nature of gender confusion, another incredible misuse of terms and disorders. XXY, XYY, and XO individuals are raised according to their phenotype. They are not 'trans'. In this twisted effort to legitimize through pseudo-biology, the trans crew seem unable to accept the range of behaviors and feelings that exist in both men and women.

If you are a masculine woman, you're really trans. If you're an artistic, ruminative, or emotionally sensitive man, you're really trans. Oddly, in their loud calls for inclusion, the trans community is itself startlingly intolerant of the range of expression of intellect, emotions, and sexuality in men and women. They are using rigid and deeply limiting archetypes of sexualized behaviors to classify people, a perfectly ridiculous approach.

The entire 'trans phenomenon' is one of the deepest indictments of our values. Their assertions are completely non-biological, and their demands distort the most ordinary social interactions in their quest for normalization of their astonishing peculiarities. It is not my responsibility, nor is it society's or science's, to change words and word meanings to accommodate these people. By all means, be happy with your sexuality. Run around with a penis and a dress. Take testosterone, grow a beard and cut off your breasts. I don't care. But don't expect me or society to look at you with anything except amusement or worse, or to magically change literally thousands of years of knowledge, fact, and experience to make you comfortable with your own pathology. That our society is kow-towing to this insanity is foolish and weak.

I've avoided writing because I couldn't be objective or neutral. I think, however, that the socio-political insanities of the last few years make it impossible to be neutral, and I will write my feelings, rather than avoid them.

Ted

Comments

  1. You have said exactly what should be said. Who in the hell thinks that having an abortion is empowering? They clearly have never spoken to any large number of women who have had that procedure. They are usually despondent, sad, indifferent. and forever emotionally scarred and NOT in a good way of empowerment. The trans community is simply trying its best and throwing everything they can out for the world to see and judge, with them hoping to be the victor in the war of words, facts, genetics, and psychopathy. I see their global behavior as being a last ditch effort to be validated in some way shape or fashion. Sad and disappointing that they pay no attention to the facts, genetics, psychology, and more. Thanks for the read Theo. Nice post.

    Lowell

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Forgiveness

 In doing years of medical teaching, I have told students that teaching and learning are not directly related. I can teach and teach, but you may never learn. Conversely, you may learn continuously without me teaching you a thing. 'I teach' and 'you learn' are two separate, active processes that may overlap or coincide. The same is true of forgiveness. I am an unforgiving man. I am the very opposite of God, who is slow to anger and of great kindness. I am quick to anger and very slow to forgive. I'm kind and insightful with people generally, but when mistreated or insulted I am not kind at all, nor do I forget, or forgive.  The Bible tells us to do something else. We are told to forgive. In Matthew 18:21, Peter asks Jesus how often he should forgive his brother's sin. The Jewish standard was three times. Like the young man in the story of the Samaritan, who asks who his brother is in order to know to whom he should be loving, Peter appears to be asking for guida...

My Broken Tooth

 I broke a tooth today. I've done that before; I inherited my mother's horrible teeth, and if not for crowns I would have the smile of any drug-addicted homeless man in the street. But the tooth broke, rather than the crown coming off. I've had that happen a couple of times, and it's nothing. After all, the tooth is just fake, held on by cements similar to the ones I use for my models. This time, however, I have to have the root extracted so I can get the modern version of a bridge. And this new dental experience has reduced to me to jelly, this not helped by the condescending, sexist comments of the dental assistant. I have a long, longe memory, my first recollections coming from age 2. I have well-developed, detailed memories from age 3 onward. I vividly recall being at the dentiswt as a child, when it was fashionable to fill baby teeth. I can recall being left there by my mother as a 14 year old, on the day I was paid for working as 'the 5th ace' at Camp Maga...

Politically Correct Dishonor

The Biblical prophets warned aloud that devastation would come to those who were unclean. Those that profaned God and the house of God, those who were drunken, fornicators, idolators, those that cheated, that gave unclean offerings. Israel was warned of the consequences of their behavior. And God did not punish Israel. Rather, by walking away from God, Israel simply suffered the consequences of its behavior and choices. I chose, I chose , to live, to receive a transplant. I struggled to have the surgery that prolonged my life, I accepted the gift of a kidney from a whole person that I might live. I was convinced by family and friends that I had some role in the world, something I might contribute. And I believed that. My idea of contribution was to teach, to give to others what I had learned to do. But I have lived to see injustice. To see self-interest and greed triumph over not merely right but reason as well. I see incompetence passed off as expertise, the mundane as the s...