Skip to main content

Baby It's Cold Outside and Other Songs

 I listened to a comedian compare Baby It's Cold Outside to a recent number one song, WAP. This is an abbreviation for words that can't be printed in most music publications. That alone should tell you something....

Baby It's Cold Outside faced a #MeToo-era cancel culture assault. Many radio stations refused to play it, and some still do, while others play a bowdlerized version. The lyric has always been a bit risque, an issue nicely summarized here. NPR had a brief report on the back and forth of banning the song, which elicited a backlash of its own.

The lyrics describe a man trying to persuade a woman to stay for another drink, and her ambivalence about staying. One author during the whole social fracas considered the song feminist, showing the degree of control women have over sexual encounters. Others feel it simply reflects the dating values of the times (1949). Whatever your take, the lyrics, while suggestive and sexy, are in no way explicit.

I want to contrast this with WAP. I ran into this song on a Facebook video. This song was #1 for three weeks, and #11 for 2020. It is certified 7x platinum (7 million copies sold). You can read the lyrics here, and see the music video here, with lyrics acceptable for public viewing.

I'm going to print the lyrics for further discussion. Those who don't want to read this can simply pass on to the discussion.

WAP (wet-ass pussy)

Whores in this house
There's some whores in this house
There's some whores in this house
There's some whores in this house (hol' up)
I said certified freak, seven days a week
Wet ass pussy, make that pullout game weak, woo! (Ah)
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, you fucking with some wet ass pussy
Bring a bucket and a mop for this wet ass pussy
Give me everything you got for this wet ass pussy
Beat it up, nigga, catch a charge
Extra large, and extra hard
Put this pussy right in yo' face
Swipe your nose like a credit card
Hop on top, I want a ride
I do a kegel while it's inside
Spit in my mouth, look at my eyes
This pussy is wet, come take a dive
Tie me up like I'm surprised
Let's role-play, I wear a disguise
I want you to park that big Mack truck right in this little garage
Make it cream, make me scream
Out in public, make a scene
I don't cook, I don't clean
But let me tell you, I got this ring (ayy, ayy)
Gobble me, swallow me, drip down the side of me (yeah)
Quick, jump out 'fore you let it get inside of me (yeah)
I tell him where to put it, never tell him where I'm 'bout to be
I run down on him 'fore I have a nigga running me
Talk yo' shit, bite your lip
Ask for a car while you ride that dick (while you ride that dick)
You ain't never gotta fuck him for a thing
He already made his mind up 'fore he came
Now get your boots and your coat for this wet ass pussy
He bought a phone just for pictures of this wet ass pussy
Pay my tuition just to kiss me on this wet ass pussy
Now make it rain if you wanna see some wet ass pussy
Look, I need a hard hitter, I need a deep stroke
I need a Henny drink, I need a weed smoker
Not a garden snake, I need a king cobra
With a hook in it, hope it lean over
He got some money, then that's where I'm headed
Pussy A-1, just like his credit
He got a beard, well, I'm tryna wet it
I let him taste it, and now he diabetic
I don't wanna spit, I wanna gulp
I wanna gag, I wanna choke
I want you to touch that lil' dangly thing that swing in the back of my throat
My head game is fire, punani Dasani
It's going in dry, and it's coming out soggy
I ride on that thing like the cops is behind me (yuh, ah)
I spit on his mic' and now he tryna sign me, woo
Your honor, I'm a freak bitch, handcuffs, leashes
Switch my wig, make him feel like he cheating
Put him on his knees, give him some' to believe in
Never lost a fight, but I'm looking for a beating
In the food chain, I'm the one that eat ya
If he ate my ass, he's a bottom feeder
Big D stand for big demeanor
I could make ya bust before I ever meet ya
If it don't hang, then he can't bang
You can't hurt my feelings, but I like pain
If he fuck me and ask, "Whose is it?"
When I ride the dick, I'ma spell my name, ah
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, you fucking with some wet ass pussy
Bring a bucket and a mop for this wet ass pussy
Give me everything you got for this wet ass pussy
Now from the top, make it drop, that's some wet ass pussy
Now get a bucket and a mop, that's some wet ass pussy
I'm talking WAP, WAP, WAP, that's some wet ass pussy
Macaroni in a pot, that's some wet ass pussy, huh

I am not a prude. I know far, far more about sexuality, academically, professionally, and personally, than most people. And I think this song is disgusting. It is not entertainment to listen to graphic descriptions of vaginal lubrication and sex acts. There is no 'female empowerment' here. Wow, how unique- women find value by talking about and/or flaunting their bodies in a sexual way. Done by prostitutes, strippers, and slaves for millenia. Real empowerment there. There is no entertainment value either. The song has all the interest of a comedian making fart jokes. There is no artistic value, either. The song has no melody, no harmony, and elicits no emotional response. I love women, but women talking about how wet their pussies are is as unappealing as men boasting about how hard and long their erections are. 

Despite this, our media positively gushed (so to speak) over the song. The LA Times said it "lays out an astonishing array of boasts and desires from two female rappers proud to follow in the sex-positive footsteps of Lil Kim, Khia, Foxy Brown and Trina." Sterogum trashed conservative distaste for the song. Rolling Stone opined "In the darkest depths of Covid lockdown....Cardi B and Megan delivered the perfect instructions on how to beat the quarantine blues". They later wrote that the song "was a pure moment of horniness and humor", and "Megan fans got a chance to celebrate her continued growth as a rapper and performer". If this is growth I don't want to think about what came before. A gynecologist praised the song for the New York Times for making women's wetness a good thing.

The failure of our society is encapsulated in these two songs. One is castigated for a humorous, musical expression of the eternal struggle bewteen men and women regarding sex. One desires as the initiator and aggressor, the other makes choices in a conflict of desire and rationality. The other is glorified as a sex-positive, woman-empowering song, but is nothing but a grotesque, near-anatomical discssion of sex acts and positions, sex organs and how to use them. That we condemn the first and but 7 million copies of the other says everything you need to know about the breakdown of families, single motherhood, school failures, and teen violence.

I'll leave it right here for your consideration and opinions, and I would love to get your responses and thoughts.

Ted

Comments

  1. It's totally disgusting, so I'm sure the "progressives" all think it's wonderful. We just have to understand that crude is the new normal. Howard Groff

    ReplyDelete
  2. "That we condemn the first and but 7 million copies of the other says everything you need to know about the breakdown of families, single motherhood, school failures, and teen violence." I would also add that technology plays a role in how quickly and easily such material is sold, not to mention influencing perceived popularity, of which many of the young wish to partake.

    This is indeed crude, vulgar material that has been vaunted by certain voices within the press, though I hope that the majority would not share the views of their journalistic peers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Forgiveness

 In doing years of medical teaching, I have told students that teaching and learning are not directly related. I can teach and teach, but you may never learn. Conversely, you may learn continuously without me teaching you a thing. 'I teach' and 'you learn' are two separate, active processes that may overlap or coincide. The same is true of forgiveness. I am an unforgiving man. I am the very opposite of God, who is slow to anger and of great kindness. I am quick to anger and very slow to forgive. I'm kind and insightful with people generally, but when mistreated or insulted I am not kind at all, nor do I forget, or forgive.  The Bible tells us to do something else. We are told to forgive. In Matthew 18:21, Peter asks Jesus how often he should forgive his brother's sin. The Jewish standard was three times. Like the young man in the story of the Samaritan, who asks who his brother is in order to know to whom he should be loving, Peter appears to be asking for guida...

My Broken Tooth

 I broke a tooth today. I've done that before; I inherited my mother's horrible teeth, and if not for crowns I would have the smile of any drug-addicted homeless man in the street. But the tooth broke, rather than the crown coming off. I've had that happen a couple of times, and it's nothing. After all, the tooth is just fake, held on by cements similar to the ones I use for my models. This time, however, I have to have the root extracted so I can get the modern version of a bridge. And this new dental experience has reduced to me to jelly, this not helped by the condescending, sexist comments of the dental assistant. I have a long, longe memory, my first recollections coming from age 2. I have well-developed, detailed memories from age 3 onward. I vividly recall being at the dentiswt as a child, when it was fashionable to fill baby teeth. I can recall being left there by my mother as a 14 year old, on the day I was paid for working as 'the 5th ace' at Camp Maga...

Politically Correct Dishonor

The Biblical prophets warned aloud that devastation would come to those who were unclean. Those that profaned God and the house of God, those who were drunken, fornicators, idolators, those that cheated, that gave unclean offerings. Israel was warned of the consequences of their behavior. And God did not punish Israel. Rather, by walking away from God, Israel simply suffered the consequences of its behavior and choices. I chose, I chose , to live, to receive a transplant. I struggled to have the surgery that prolonged my life, I accepted the gift of a kidney from a whole person that I might live. I was convinced by family and friends that I had some role in the world, something I might contribute. And I believed that. My idea of contribution was to teach, to give to others what I had learned to do. But I have lived to see injustice. To see self-interest and greed triumph over not merely right but reason as well. I see incompetence passed off as expertise, the mundane as the s...