Hi all-
I remain grateful for everyone's support. I am especially touched by postings from patients. Your concern gives me a sense that I have helped and touched those who have trusted me with their care.
I want to say something about belief and faith. We tend to use the word 'belief' meaning to accept something for which there is not simply no evidence but which requires the suspension of intellectua l understandi ng. For example, we talk about belief in Santa Claus, or the Easter Bunny.
The origin of the term belief is from old english, and is related to the word life. Its original meaning was a verbal representat ion of those ideas and values that formed the basis of your world view and actions. Belief, then, had nothing to do with the unprovable or unlikely, a fantastical acceptance of the unprovable. It was that which formed the very bedrock of your life. We might more accurately use the term worldview, given the 'creep' in the meaning of belief.
Fait h implies a further sense of acceptance of that which we can not see or prove. There is then a difference between faith, which of its nature implies acceptance and trust in something we can not see or prove, and belief, which today is used so commonly as a synonym for faith, but is not.
Do we really believe in the power of God? Do we really believe in the forgiveness of sin? Are these ideas part of our worldview, our beliefs? Do we have faith that we will some day be in the rpesence of God? What do we really believe?
I try very hard to accept the idea that I would be acceptable to God, that my 'manifold sins and weaknesses' , to use the Episcopalia n constructio n, could be forgiven. I don't think that I have incorporate d such a construct into my worldview. I remain in a less useful, and I think from a theological viewpoint, less accurate, construct- that I must try to justify my existence on the planet, adn somehow earn my forgiveness.
I am not a fan of Paul, but here I think he has it right- we are not justified by works, but by faith alone. Here I don't know the Greek word used, but I would suggest that 'belief' in the old english sense, is the better term. As Jesus said, if you believe, you will be clean. We do not get clean in order to believe, we believe in order that we may be clean. This was the original meaning of baptism- a ritual bath that signified the individual' s change of heart. We are not baptized to make us 'visible' to God and the church, our baptism should be a voluntary physical example of our spiritual conversion.
Intellectua lly, I understand all this, and I can spout about it in theoretical terms. It is hard for me to live it, to 'believe' it. I keep feeling like the enormous blessing of new life and health, given to me by another, will be taken away because of my many failings. It is absolutely amazing to me that I, flawed as I am, could have such a blessing NOT taken away from me.
The practical expression of my inner conflict is an obsessive awareness of renal function, tracking of numbers, etc, as if by my intellectua l effort I can somehow keep my new kidney working. There is a time for intellectua l and obsessive effort, and there is a time for belief. This is a time for belief, it just comes very hard to me.
Ted
I remain grateful for everyone's support. I am especially touched by postings from patients. Your concern gives me a sense that I have helped and touched those who have trusted me with their care.
I want to say something about belief and faith. We tend to use the word 'belief' meaning to accept something for which there is not simply no evidence but which requires the suspension of intellectua
The origin of the term belief is from old english, and is related to the word life. Its original meaning was a verbal representat
Fait
Do we really believe in the power of God? Do we really believe in the forgiveness of sin? Are these ideas part of our worldview, our beliefs? Do we have faith that we will some day be in the rpesence of God? What do we really believe?
I try very hard to accept the idea that I would be acceptable to God, that my 'manifold sins and weaknesses'
I am not a fan of Paul, but here I think he has it right- we are not justified by works, but by faith alone. Here I don't know the Greek word used, but I would suggest that 'belief' in the old english sense, is the better term. As Jesus said, if you believe, you will be clean. We do not get clean in order to believe, we believe in order that we may be clean. This was the original meaning of baptism- a ritual bath that signified the individual'
Intellectua
The practical expression of my inner conflict is an obsessive awareness of renal function, tracking of numbers, etc, as if by my intellectua
Ted
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment