There is no question that, besides occasionally behaving like bighorn sheep butting each other, humans also behave like peacocks. We use all sorts of possessions to display to others our values, who we think we are, our perception of our relative place in the human 'pecking order', etc. Many people (me) play more than one role in society (in my case being doctor and a rock drummer) and therefore use more than one prop or display. Sometimes, however, the signals do get crossed.
I have been amused by the 'greenies' driving cars that look like bread boxes. I'm not sure why this is appropriate for an ecologically sound vehicle. I would think the cars would be very aerodynamic, thus saving fuel. Instead, the Honda Fit, Toyota Prius and Scion all look like 4 wheeled shoeboxes with windows. While this makes no sense from an ecological perspective, it makes perfect sense as a social display. These vehicles are a prominent silent statement that environmental friendliness is more important than style (of course in these cases also saying that style is more important than comprehensive eco-friendliness, but whatever). The drivers of these cars are above style.
While not buying into this particular display, there is no question I love cars, and have my own auto displays (to see me in sunglasses and a completely styleless hat in a convertible tells you much ). However, every once in a while there is a vehicle that makes no sense, either as a social display or as a vehicular conception. Racing trucks are one of these. Today I saw a 'souped up' Scion.
The Scion had a low resistance exhaust (the type that are fat and make too much noise). It had low aspect ratio tires. It had Brembo brakes (about 3000.00 as an after market item). It had black-out glass. So the question this raises is- who buys an eco-friendly econobox and then soups it up? Who pimps out a SCION? Why Brembo brakes? These are on the Audi S8, or a Porsche 911 turbo- cars that need to seriously stop, since they can seriously go. A Scion has a 0-60 time about the same as a bus. It has a small mass, and a low top speed. There is no problem stopping a Scion! Further, these vehicles have the handling characteristics of a motorized brick. What is the point of having low aspect ratio tires? I can understand the black out glass as a last item to hide the owner from the open laughter of peers- we certainly were, as this moving oddity blatted its way down the street. Perhaps the owner is confused about whether to have an econobox or a racing car, and ended up with an econoracer....
This thing was perhaps meant to be an automotive version of the Sphinx. For me, it's a peanut butter and tuna sandwich on waffles.
I appreciate public displays. It is desirable to have such displays say something that everyone else can understand......
Ted
I have been amused by the 'greenies' driving cars that look like bread boxes. I'm not sure why this is appropriate for an ecologically sound vehicle. I would think the cars would be very aerodynamic, thus saving fuel. Instead, the Honda Fit, Toyota Prius and Scion all look like 4 wheeled shoeboxes with windows. While this makes no sense from an ecological perspective, it makes perfect sense as a social display. These vehicles are a prominent silent statement that environmental friendliness is more important than style (of course in these cases also saying that style is more important than comprehensive eco-friendliness, but whatever). The drivers of these cars are above style.
While not buying into this particular display, there is no question I love cars, and have my own auto displays (to see me in sunglasses and a completely styleless hat in a convertible tells you much ). However, every once in a while there is a vehicle that makes no sense, either as a social display or as a vehicular conception. Racing trucks are one of these. Today I saw a 'souped up' Scion.
The Scion had a low resistance exhaust (the type that are fat and make too much noise). It had low aspect ratio tires. It had Brembo brakes (about 3000.00 as an after market item). It had black-out glass. So the question this raises is- who buys an eco-friendly econobox and then soups it up? Who pimps out a SCION? Why Brembo brakes? These are on the Audi S8, or a Porsche 911 turbo- cars that need to seriously stop, since they can seriously go. A Scion has a 0-60 time about the same as a bus. It has a small mass, and a low top speed. There is no problem stopping a Scion! Further, these vehicles have the handling characteristics of a motorized brick. What is the point of having low aspect ratio tires? I can understand the black out glass as a last item to hide the owner from the open laughter of peers- we certainly were, as this moving oddity blatted its way down the street. Perhaps the owner is confused about whether to have an econobox or a racing car, and ended up with an econoracer....
This thing was perhaps meant to be an automotive version of the Sphinx. For me, it's a peanut butter and tuna sandwich on waffles.
I appreciate public displays. It is desirable to have such displays say something that everyone else can understand......
Ted
Comments
Post a Comment