Skip to main content

Capabilities

I feel our spirit exists, and that it deeply desires to be at union with its source, God. Much of our religious teaching makes a contrast between fleshly desires like food, sex and the like, and the spirit. While excessive, persistent, obsessive pursuit of these things buries the spirit, they do not seem to me to be the most damaging.


What damages us is what we tell ourselves. If we believe we will succeed, we may not, but when we tell ourselves we will fail, we surely will. We have personified the voice of the spirit and the voice that discourages us as God and Satan. I don’t know where the defeatist voice comes from. Regardless of what it is called, for me it is the presence of evil within us.

It is not desire, or hunger, or a need for relaxation that are evil. These are normal needs whose expression may or may not be readily available within the construct of society. It is the voice which whispers to us, telling us we can not survive the day without a drink, that we are not able to feel good without masses of gooey cookies, that we will feel good if we can only have sex with another person, and most especially that tells us we are not capable, that we should not try, that we are a waste of time and space.

I watched today as perfectly capable people convinced themselves they failed miserably. They already believed the task was beyond their ability, and because of that made little effort to learn or practice. Not surprisingly, when it was time to do the task, they failed, completing a cycle ‘proving’ to themselves they were stupid and worthless.

Just as circular reasoning is readily used to ‘prove’ ideas people want to believe, it can be used to ‘prove’ incapacity and unworthiness. Sadly, that conviction of low worth leads to efforts to bury it in indulgence: food, sex, liquor. And so it is that the indulgence becomes the demon, when it is only the symptom of greater spiritual pain and defeat. It is like mistaking the flotsam and jetsam of a defeated army for the cause of the defeat.

Jesus said to give Caesar what is Caesar’s. Too often, we use prayer like it was a magical wish fulfillment machine. All we have to do is ask for riches and health, and we will wake up wealthy and strong. Prayer, however, is a spiritual act, and the fruits of this are spiritual. We confuse material gain for spiritual gifts.

All who seek find. I believe if we turn to God, He will reveal himself to us. If we do not seek for God, but look for spiritual relief in physical things, we can never find satisfaction, either of the flesh or of the soul. If we seek God, then the spirit is comforted, and with a calm mind and heart, we can then find out what our flesh is truly capable of.

I may feel little certainty about the nature of Jesus, but I do feel he was a powerful example of the capability of both flesh and spirit. His stories resonate for me with truth, the power of the spirit, with forgiveness, with hope and peace. Whether he was truly divine I don’t know, but these values represent for me the presence of God on earth. This is the triumph of hope over despair, of forgiveness over failing and sin, of union and acceptance over isolation and rejection.

Not a few people do not consider me a Christian. I don’t mind- I don’t think I’m a very good one either. But I do know that the values and example of Jesus as recorded in the gospels inspire and comfort me every day. I do wish people could find within his teachings an inspiration that would help them overcome their worthlessness and defeatism, and in turn their dependence on the flesh. As Thomas says, ‘if flesh is born of spirit that is a wonder, but if spirit is born of flesh that is a wonder of wonders. How can such strength be housed in such weakness?’ Indeed…..

Ted

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Forgiveness

 In doing years of medical teaching, I have told students that teaching and learning are not directly related. I can teach and teach, but you may never learn. Conversely, you may learn continuously without me teaching you a thing. 'I teach' and 'you learn' are two separate, active processes that may overlap or coincide. The same is true of forgiveness. I am an unforgiving man. I am the very opposite of God, who is slow to anger and of great kindness. I am quick to anger and very slow to forgive. I'm kind and insightful with people generally, but when mistreated or insulted I am not kind at all, nor do I forget, or forgive.  The Bible tells us to do something else. We are told to forgive. In Matthew 18:21, Peter asks Jesus how often he should forgive his brother's sin. The Jewish standard was three times. Like the young man in the story of the Samaritan, who asks who his brother is in order to know to whom he should be loving, Peter appears to be asking for guida...

My Broken Tooth

 I broke a tooth today. I've done that before; I inherited my mother's horrible teeth, and if not for crowns I would have the smile of any drug-addicted homeless man in the street. But the tooth broke, rather than the crown coming off. I've had that happen a couple of times, and it's nothing. After all, the tooth is just fake, held on by cements similar to the ones I use for my models. This time, however, I have to have the root extracted so I can get the modern version of a bridge. And this new dental experience has reduced to me to jelly, this not helped by the condescending, sexist comments of the dental assistant. I have a long, longe memory, my first recollections coming from age 2. I have well-developed, detailed memories from age 3 onward. I vividly recall being at the dentiswt as a child, when it was fashionable to fill baby teeth. I can recall being left there by my mother as a 14 year old, on the day I was paid for working as 'the 5th ace' at Camp Maga...

Politically Correct Dishonor

The Biblical prophets warned aloud that devastation would come to those who were unclean. Those that profaned God and the house of God, those who were drunken, fornicators, idolators, those that cheated, that gave unclean offerings. Israel was warned of the consequences of their behavior. And God did not punish Israel. Rather, by walking away from God, Israel simply suffered the consequences of its behavior and choices. I chose, I chose , to live, to receive a transplant. I struggled to have the surgery that prolonged my life, I accepted the gift of a kidney from a whole person that I might live. I was convinced by family and friends that I had some role in the world, something I might contribute. And I believed that. My idea of contribution was to teach, to give to others what I had learned to do. But I have lived to see injustice. To see self-interest and greed triumph over not merely right but reason as well. I see incompetence passed off as expertise, the mundane as the s...