Skip to main content

Harry Potter, The Matrix and Christianity

Those who look at this blog know my religious views do not conform to conservative Christianity. Indeed, given that do not declare that Jesus is the one and only Son of God, I do not think I can be classified as a Christian. I am not surprised that my views are rejected, even castigated, by those who feel differently. I am surprised, however, that some very spiritual movies and books are rejected by conservative Christians. I am thinking in particular about the Harry Potter books and the movie 'The Matrix'.

WARNING- SPOILERS FOLLOW

The Harry Potter books and Matrix movies share several characteristics. Both involve characters who discover alternate worlds which change the perception of everyday reality. In both, evil is confronted to achieve freedom from that evil. Both main characters die to overcome the hold of evil over their autonomy and lives. Both, through unique interventions, return to life.

That fundamental story line should, it seems to me, hold great appeal to Christians. It is nothing less than the fictionalized playing out of Christian beliefs. And yet, both Harry Potter and Neo have evoked the most intense antipathy from conservative Christians. The books have been vilified as extolling evil because the words witch, wizard, magic and witchcraft are used. The Matrix's use of the term 'The One', and Harry Potter being addressed as 'The Chosen One' further offend conservative Christians.

This does not seem consistent with these same Christians' comfort with Greco-Roman myths, or Germanic stories. After all, Odysseus visits the Underworld, Heracles is carried up into Heaven to relieve his earthly suffering, Siegfried confronts evil and is triumphant.

Numerous stories from classical literature fictionalize Christian values. Faust makes a deal with Satan, and commits evil. In death he seeks, and receives, repentance. Many have shivered and wept at Beethoven's 9th Symphony, whose last movement is a musical setting of the 'Ode to Joy', a poem with Christian themes but no mention of Christ or God.

The acceptance of C.S. Lewis' stories is even less consistent with the rejection of Harry and Neo. His writings are thinly, and sometimes poorly, concealed Christian allegory. His Narnia books are favorites with children, despite Christ allegories and characters. The 'Out of the silent Planet' trilogy is acceptable, despite its clear biblical references and a main character who is unequivocally a Christ figure and it titled 'The Director'.

I wonder if the fierce resistance to Harry and Neo are because both stories are so intense, and neither can be disproved. As set up in the Harry Potter books, the magical world is hidden from the Muggle world (us) by various secrecy laws. Dragons, castles and various elements of the magical world are hidden by enchantments. Those who have contact with the magical world either keep silent because they know that to speak is to appear mad, or are 'confunded' and their memories modified. The story can not be proved false. One of its charms is that it is entirely possible that witches and wizards are around us and we don't even know it. This is also true of 'The Matrix', perhaps more so. The idea that we live in a machine-created dream world is chilling and entirely un-disprovable.

Unlike all the fiction acceptable to Christians, these two stories describe saviors, alternate Christ figures if you like, in an alternate reality that is quite seductively plausible. The appealing assumptions of these stories require acceptance of conditions contrary to our perception of reality. Well, so does Christianity.

Christianity asks that we believe in a corporeal life after death. It asks that we believe a woman was impregnated by a spirit, according to some traditions through her ear. We must accept conversion of water into wine while believing that wine should not be drunk, that the world was created in literally 6 days, that Noah lived 900 years and that Sarah conceived when she was well into menopause. The Red Sea was parted, the Jews were fed from the sky, Jesus was born in a manger, etc, etc. A monotheistic religion divides God into three parts, one of which was also a man on earth.

Christianity asks for acceptance of a great deal outside the ordinary experience of reality. It asks for the suspension of more disbelief than Harry Potter or The Matrix. I think this threatens the construct of Christianity in ways acceptable stories do not. The other stories do not directly challenge Christ as the world's only savior. They involve clearly fictionalized worlds and characters that are not overtly 'The One'.

I do not think it is the mentioning of witchcraft or titles like The One or The Chosen One. The Christian story is no more touching than Harry Potter, and requires many more alterations of reality. I think it is that if we reject such seductive and touching stories as unreal, it is no intellectual or emotional jump at all to question the reality of the Christian story.

Christianity can not tolerate the asking of questions. Whether formal Catholic heresy or non-conformity, to ask questions is to be Bad. No one will go to a doctor that forbids asking questions or the seeking of second opinions. Such a doctor is perceived as either a liar or very insecure in his knowledge and advice. As is said in 'Quills', is your God so weak that He can not stand in opposition to mine?

Christians must be awfully insecure to so steadfastly refuse to open their hearts and minds to inspiring stories that reflect their own values. And, given the unbelievability of their beliefs and strictures of their rules, I do not really blame them.

Ted

Comments

  1. You're right: The Matrix and Harry Potter stories hit a little too close to home for many Christians. Your acute observations are rejected by some because, let's face it, no one likes to hear the truth when it threatens a belief they hold dear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Forgiveness

 In doing years of medical teaching, I have told students that teaching and learning are not directly related. I can teach and teach, but you may never learn. Conversely, you may learn continuously without me teaching you a thing. 'I teach' and 'you learn' are two separate, active processes that may overlap or coincide. The same is true of forgiveness. I am an unforgiving man. I am the very opposite of God, who is slow to anger and of great kindness. I am quick to anger and very slow to forgive. I'm kind and insightful with people generally, but when mistreated or insulted I am not kind at all, nor do I forget, or forgive.  The Bible tells us to do something else. We are told to forgive. In Matthew 18:21, Peter asks Jesus how often he should forgive his brother's sin. The Jewish standard was three times. Like the young man in the story of the Samaritan, who asks who his brother is in order to know to whom he should be loving, Peter appears to be asking for guida...

My Broken Tooth

 I broke a tooth today. I've done that before; I inherited my mother's horrible teeth, and if not for crowns I would have the smile of any drug-addicted homeless man in the street. But the tooth broke, rather than the crown coming off. I've had that happen a couple of times, and it's nothing. After all, the tooth is just fake, held on by cements similar to the ones I use for my models. This time, however, I have to have the root extracted so I can get the modern version of a bridge. And this new dental experience has reduced to me to jelly, this not helped by the condescending, sexist comments of the dental assistant. I have a long, longe memory, my first recollections coming from age 2. I have well-developed, detailed memories from age 3 onward. I vividly recall being at the dentiswt as a child, when it was fashionable to fill baby teeth. I can recall being left there by my mother as a 14 year old, on the day I was paid for working as 'the 5th ace' at Camp Maga...

Politically Correct Dishonor

The Biblical prophets warned aloud that devastation would come to those who were unclean. Those that profaned God and the house of God, those who were drunken, fornicators, idolators, those that cheated, that gave unclean offerings. Israel was warned of the consequences of their behavior. And God did not punish Israel. Rather, by walking away from God, Israel simply suffered the consequences of its behavior and choices. I chose, I chose , to live, to receive a transplant. I struggled to have the surgery that prolonged my life, I accepted the gift of a kidney from a whole person that I might live. I was convinced by family and friends that I had some role in the world, something I might contribute. And I believed that. My idea of contribution was to teach, to give to others what I had learned to do. But I have lived to see injustice. To see self-interest and greed triumph over not merely right but reason as well. I see incompetence passed off as expertise, the mundane as the s...