Skip to main content

A Followup to Battleships

Just a brief followup. I appreciate that 'Oneofthosedays' understood the point of my post. In reading it again it can sound like I am bashing female doctors. That is not it at all. I was only trying to show the unintended consequences of a policy that strives for diversity rather than raw ability. If the class is 80% female that's fine. The only arbiter should be ability, not sex, race, religion, sexual orientation.

When these descriptors are used to help a 'dominant culture' we call it racism. When they are used to help someone of lesser ability we call it 'diversity' and 'affirmative action'. I want to say a couple more words about such policies.

We have great data on outcomes. They're all bad. Politicians trumpet raw data, such as an increased percentage of a workforce that is (fill in the blank). But what is never said is what happens to that workforce, those placed into schooling for diversity reasons only and, more importantly, to those of higher qualifications who got passed over.

Of course there has been the recent case of the New Haven fire department. White firefighters passed over for promotion sued and won money,  promotion and pension increases, costing New Haven millions. Despite this, in New York there is a current case where a judge has ordered changes in hiring practices to promote diversity. There is a strong protest by the fire department. New York teachers are a great lesson in the failure of diversity. When black applicants failed the NY Teacher's exam in disproportionate numbers the union simply lowered the passing score to get a larger number of black candidates to pass. Plumbers hired under affirmative action are 60% more likely to fail their exam, and have lower productivity and much higher rates of absenteeism.

Do you want those teachers? Do you want those plumbers? Let's apply these principles to surgery- let's promote surgical residents from certain countries or ethnic origins, even though they fail their exams. Do you want that surgeon operating on you? I want those who promote racial, sexual and ethnic hiring practices to look me in the face and answer 'yes' to that question.

There's another oddity here. In all the effort to produce female doctors, black firefighters, news stories about female football players, etc, where is there complaint about a lack of female stevadores? In the midst of defining equality as equality of representation and outcome rather than opportunity, why is there no complaint about many areas of racial and sexual disparity? Maybe people don't want to go into certain fields. It may be, like Ob/Gyn these days, that they are perceived as hostile. That is not changed by affirmative action, it is worsened. And as far as promoting those with lesser qualifications, those of ability are getting a fair chance, and performing as well as anyone else with ability. Those achievements are diluted by promoting those without qualification.

No one should be ignored because of their ethnicity or other defining traits. I have heard remarkable stories of Jewish doctors barred from hospital staffs and training programs as recently as the early '70s. But setting officially condoned barriers to white men, or to any group, is no different than a poll tax, or barring Jews, or any other program discriminating against someone based on skin, sex or religion.

It' just wrong. Whether we call it diversity, affirmative action or qualifications, it's all just prejudice and racism.

Ted

Comments

  1. I completely agree. Thomas Sowell has been saying much the same thing for years. For anyone interested in long term consequences of discriminatory hiring/educational opportunities, Sowell's book "Affirmative Action Around the World: an empirical study" is instructive. He dedicates a separate chapter to each of five different countries where affirmative action has been practiced: India, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Nigeria, and the U.S. Sowell didn't just research the outcomes: he personally traveled internationally to talk with scholars, officials, librarians, and ordinary citizens about the policies and results of affirmative action in their countries. Not surprisingly, the research - the hard data - showed that affirmative action around the world uniformly failed, creating even more problems. (Sowell notes in passing, "too often, sweeping assumptions about the past and sweeping assertions about the future have served as substitutes for the difficult task of analyzing hard facts.")

    Diversity is great. But it must not come at the expense of quality. When one is swapped in a trade-off for the other, the results are bad.

    -D-

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Forgiveness

 In doing years of medical teaching, I have told students that teaching and learning are not directly related. I can teach and teach, but you may never learn. Conversely, you may learn continuously without me teaching you a thing. 'I teach' and 'you learn' are two separate, active processes that may overlap or coincide. The same is true of forgiveness. I am an unforgiving man. I am the very opposite of God, who is slow to anger and of great kindness. I am quick to anger and very slow to forgive. I'm kind and insightful with people generally, but when mistreated or insulted I am not kind at all, nor do I forget, or forgive.  The Bible tells us to do something else. We are told to forgive. In Matthew 18:21, Peter asks Jesus how often he should forgive his brother's sin. The Jewish standard was three times. Like the young man in the story of the Samaritan, who asks who his brother is in order to know to whom he should be loving, Peter appears to be asking for guida...

My Broken Tooth

 I broke a tooth today. I've done that before; I inherited my mother's horrible teeth, and if not for crowns I would have the smile of any drug-addicted homeless man in the street. But the tooth broke, rather than the crown coming off. I've had that happen a couple of times, and it's nothing. After all, the tooth is just fake, held on by cements similar to the ones I use for my models. This time, however, I have to have the root extracted so I can get the modern version of a bridge. And this new dental experience has reduced to me to jelly, this not helped by the condescending, sexist comments of the dental assistant. I have a long, longe memory, my first recollections coming from age 2. I have well-developed, detailed memories from age 3 onward. I vividly recall being at the dentiswt as a child, when it was fashionable to fill baby teeth. I can recall being left there by my mother as a 14 year old, on the day I was paid for working as 'the 5th ace' at Camp Maga...

Politically Correct Dishonor

The Biblical prophets warned aloud that devastation would come to those who were unclean. Those that profaned God and the house of God, those who were drunken, fornicators, idolators, those that cheated, that gave unclean offerings. Israel was warned of the consequences of their behavior. And God did not punish Israel. Rather, by walking away from God, Israel simply suffered the consequences of its behavior and choices. I chose, I chose , to live, to receive a transplant. I struggled to have the surgery that prolonged my life, I accepted the gift of a kidney from a whole person that I might live. I was convinced by family and friends that I had some role in the world, something I might contribute. And I believed that. My idea of contribution was to teach, to give to others what I had learned to do. But I have lived to see injustice. To see self-interest and greed triumph over not merely right but reason as well. I see incompetence passed off as expertise, the mundane as the s...