Skip to main content

A Grotesque Healthcare Lie

We have all read a great deal about health care- how it should be organized, paid for, eligibility, universal coverage, foreign comparisons. Paul Krugman has now written the single worst and most misleading article I have seen in 4 years of debate on this topic. Here it is-

Paul Krugman Medicaid Article

It really helps for commentators to actually understand what they are talking about. In this example that is clearly not the case. To put Krugman's article in perspective, her is a useful site for calculating inflation over any given time period-

Inflation Calculator

With this in mind, here is the skinny on Medicaid.

First, over the period covered by Krugman's chart inflation has been 29.7%. Let's use 30% as a round number. Therefore if spending on Medicaid has remained flat (the graph is not inflation adjusted) that means that real purchasing power of Mediciad has decreased by 30%. It also means that the outrageous costs of private insurers are slightly different when inflation is considered. There are a few other differences.

First, most medical spending (2/3) occurs in the last year of life. Medicaid doesn't cover this time, so its costs are much more predictable. Second, Medicaid pays horribly. Their reimbursement is 30-75% less than private insurers. While this does control costs it also means that very few doctors accept it. I accepted BlueCare, Tennessee's Blue Cross Medicaid HMO, in Knoxville. I was one of only TWO ObGyns who accepted it for gyn care in the entire 800,000 population metro area. Lots of doctors would accept it for OB, mainly because it is politically impossible to reduce OB payments as they have gyn payments.

Doctor choice is severely limited on Medicaid. Most physicians just won't deal with them, and I don't blame them. 100%, that's right, 100% of hysterectomies are denied by Tenncare. Routinely. There is no precertification- that leads to unhappy patients who complain to insurance commissioners. No, no, you can do any care you like, but if it does not meet their guidelines it gets denied. Except that 100% of cases are denied payment. The doctor then has to pay staff to fight with Mediciad to get paid for work done ethically and under their guidelines. Thus out of the already execrable payment must be taken the administrative costs of collecting it. You want a better example? Medicare is the easiest payor to work with. Submit a clean electronic claim and you are paid within 4 weeks. Medicaid not only pays badly but only with much hassle and very late.

Therapeutic options are just as limited as doctors under Medicaid. For a pregnant woman with nausea Zofran is more effective than Phenergan and causes no drowsiness, so she can work and drive. Medicaid doesn't cover Zofran. Medicaid doesn't cover some ultrasounds, doesn't cover most oral contraceptives, doesn't pay for better antibiotics. Oh they save money alright. If is always inexpensive to not buy things.

Eligibility for Medicaid is also severely limited. Each state sets its own level, but beyond that there is eligibility for certain services. You can get coverage for a pregnancy even if you are an illegal alien but you cannot get coverage for a hysterectomy even if you need transfusions to correct anemia from excess menstruation. Physical therapy, nursing home stays and other parts of recovery from major surgeries like a comminuted leg fracture may not be covered, or are covered only at extra cost the enrollee cannot possibly pay. And if you die, or are injured in a car, Medicaid will collect from your estate or from your car insurance all the medical costs for your care. If you win a judgment against another person for your injuries Medicaid will reimburse itself by collecting from your judgment all its expenses. You get nothing. The money goes from the defendant's insurance to Medicaid.

THIS is what Paul Krugman thinks is the future? We should all be scared and outraged over an article like that. Medicaid gives the government a fig leaf to hide behind, claiming it provides comprehensive medical coverage to the poor. Nonsense. The government provides a minimal coverage that cuts the poor off from the best treatments, the best doctors and the best care. And please don't go and blame this on Republicans. Medicaid funding has been a favorite football for both parties, who in the name of efficiency and reducing payments to 'fat cat doctors' have done nothing except prevent care for the very constituency they purport to care for and serve.

Krugman is either a liar or a fool, and the politicians are manipulative liars without honor or decency. For those commentators and politicians who actually want to know as opposed to bloviate, come down to any office or clinic, and we'll show you what you have done. Better yet, why don't you put your families on the program you like to tout so much? That goes for you too, Krugman.

Ted


Comments

  1. I read Krugman's original article, then looked up his bio on Wikipedia. It is hard to believe that someone who is so clueless about the economics of health care could have won a Nobel Prize. But then again, it is easy to sound authoritative while living in an ivory tower as an academic and all you write about are generalities of one aspect of a complex problem, as opposed to people actually working in the health care system who must deal with the detailed, concrete realities of billing and payments.

    I love the line "It is always inexpensive to not buy things." And, of course, the challenge for Krugman to put himself on Medicaid is appropriate - it shows the hypocrisy of his position.

    -D-

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Forgiveness

 In doing years of medical teaching, I have told students that teaching and learning are not directly related. I can teach and teach, but you may never learn. Conversely, you may learn continuously without me teaching you a thing. 'I teach' and 'you learn' are two separate, active processes that may overlap or coincide. The same is true of forgiveness. I am an unforgiving man. I am the very opposite of God, who is slow to anger and of great kindness. I am quick to anger and very slow to forgive. I'm kind and insightful with people generally, but when mistreated or insulted I am not kind at all, nor do I forget, or forgive.  The Bible tells us to do something else. We are told to forgive. In Matthew 18:21, Peter asks Jesus how often he should forgive his brother's sin. The Jewish standard was three times. Like the young man in the story of the Samaritan, who asks who his brother is in order to know to whom he should be loving, Peter appears to be asking for guida...

My Broken Tooth

 I broke a tooth today. I've done that before; I inherited my mother's horrible teeth, and if not for crowns I would have the smile of any drug-addicted homeless man in the street. But the tooth broke, rather than the crown coming off. I've had that happen a couple of times, and it's nothing. After all, the tooth is just fake, held on by cements similar to the ones I use for my models. This time, however, I have to have the root extracted so I can get the modern version of a bridge. And this new dental experience has reduced to me to jelly, this not helped by the condescending, sexist comments of the dental assistant. I have a long, longe memory, my first recollections coming from age 2. I have well-developed, detailed memories from age 3 onward. I vividly recall being at the dentiswt as a child, when it was fashionable to fill baby teeth. I can recall being left there by my mother as a 14 year old, on the day I was paid for working as 'the 5th ace' at Camp Maga...

Politically Correct Dishonor

The Biblical prophets warned aloud that devastation would come to those who were unclean. Those that profaned God and the house of God, those who were drunken, fornicators, idolators, those that cheated, that gave unclean offerings. Israel was warned of the consequences of their behavior. And God did not punish Israel. Rather, by walking away from God, Israel simply suffered the consequences of its behavior and choices. I chose, I chose , to live, to receive a transplant. I struggled to have the surgery that prolonged my life, I accepted the gift of a kidney from a whole person that I might live. I was convinced by family and friends that I had some role in the world, something I might contribute. And I believed that. My idea of contribution was to teach, to give to others what I had learned to do. But I have lived to see injustice. To see self-interest and greed triumph over not merely right but reason as well. I see incompetence passed off as expertise, the mundane as the s...