Skip to main content

What is History?

What follows is a transcript of a conversation on FB that turned fairly ugly. You can read it all or skip to my comments. The essence of the issue is my title- what is history?
 
T-nothing like rewriting your own country's history to make people unproud. A horrible and distorted book.
TL-Be specific, Ted
T-Tom- too many to count. He reports a fictional story of Ben Franklin, of Polly Baker, as fact. He himself described the book as 'biased' in favor of socialism. He omits the Gettysburg address, the moon landings (!) and crucial events in Vietnam. The book is 'history' only in the sense that the Soviet Union believed history should not be a record of facts but instruct. Whether you like the book or not it is in no way a text book of anything, and completely unsuited to school use. I don't see how anyone can defend a book of US history that omits even the few items I have listed here.
VR-So what if the book is biased toward socialism? The rest of kids' history books are biased toward imperialism. So what's there to be proud of about imperialism? Maybe that's cool to boys, but as a girl, I was not impressed with that one-sided narrative. I was also always cognizant of the missing stories, I just didn't know where to find them.
T-Tom, Victoria- Zinn wrote an interesting book, and talks about elements of history that are not usually a part of 'history classes'. One big difference is that the imperialistic view of American history is assumed, not explicit, whereas Zinn is quite explicit in wanting to make a social point. I don't see any of this as boy and girl points of view, having read extensively about many aspects of social history. Rather, it is Zinn's open, stated intent to produce a revisionist history. It is a polemic, not a history, and that makes it unsuitable as a text. Interesting book , yes. Tuchman had the same problem. A great writer- fluid, articulate. But a really lousy historian, as anyone familiar with the opening of the 1914 campaign will tell you after reading her brilliant book 'The Guns of August'. Take a look at some of the criticisms and praises here- http://en.wikipedia.org/...
VR-You cannot make a case that the current history books used in classrooms are *not* lousy! Let's start there.
T-And I don't. I am an original source person, and deeply interested in history. Our classroom texts are the simplest of brushovers, making the broadest and coarsest generalizations. So much of the controversy over books seems to me to be a reflection of the deep divide in our society. We are, to one extent or another, ashamed of ourselves, and so can no longer write books about our victories in war without talking about civilian death, can not talk about settling the West without whipping ourselves over displaced indigenous populations. In an age of widely diverse cultural opinion it is essentially impossible to write a text that someone will not see as 'biased'. Zinn's achievement is also his limitation- to have written a book with a plain point of view, and one that is contrary to the 'established' view of history. He covers very important topics but omits so much that it cannot be a general text. It would be a fantastic 12th grade or college history text to look at social movements of the 20th century, however...
VR-You yourself admit: "One big difference is that the imperialistic view of American history is assumed." Like it or not, that is nationalistic propaganda (edited "history" told to make us look good, leaving out all the rest of history that makes us look bad). You can't apply one standard to Zinn and Tuchman (flawed perspective) and another to what is actually used in the classroom (imperialism assumed, therefore it's OK). No. Apply the same standard.
T-Indeed. See my last, longer comment. It is essentially impossible to write a text without offending someone today. The shared value system that makes a point of view acceptable is no longer operating. Please note the difference between history and polemic: history ultimately expresses a point of view but does not seek to 'make a point'. Polemic does seek to establish or make a point. Any history of necessity has a point of view, but that does not make it a polemic. Zinn is polemical.
VR-I disagree with your definition of history vs. polemic, Theodore Tsaltas, at least in the way you are expressing it here—particularly "history ultimately expresses a point of view but does not seek to 'make a point.' " Writers of history (predominantly male) are always making a point (which you call "point of view"); they simply have different *styles* of making those points, and those points are, of course, mostly concerned with the Great Males in History. You are free to disagree with this, but please know you are not persuading me. Not because I am uneducated—you keep trying to school me, thinking it's my ignorance you are correcting rather than my informed experience as a nonfiction writer. All historical texts are biased, written by human beings who are not objective and read by human beings who are also not objective. Here's something I've written about that very issue, which is based on an experiment historian Stephen Woodburn performed with his classes: http://www.silvercentury.org/polBlogs.cfm... The American Experience as it is taught in our schools is our founding mythology. Getting to the truth of a historical event requires multiple points of view, which is seldom ever attempted (or wanted). You find Zinn's "polemics" distasteful. I am unmoved by your taste. You will disagree it is "taste" you are promoting. The text Zinn means to counter is propagandistic (it has an agenda: to present U.S. history in a flattering, noncontroversial light) and skewed (one-sided). Since Tom's original post is about history taught in schools, I am trying to stick to the subject.
T-No, not trying to school you, or to persuade you. The nature of your posts suggests your mind is quite made up with regard to the nature of history, its authors and how it is written. It is interesting to me to see US history described as flattering, as if the events were somehow false, or did not occur. The US has done many wonderful things. I too am sticking to the subject- the teaching of history in schools. We as a society will have to decide if material such as Zinn's is history or not, and whether it is the history to be taught. Given the choice, I think we serve our students and our society better by being aware of our triumphs rather than by engaging in self-flagellation over our failures. Finally, the history of groups not usually a part of history books is not irrelevant, but it doesn't have to be made into a counter-cultural story either. In regard to Silver Century, I appreciate the point. It doesn't change the reality that the enormous majority of major events (to date) in US and European history have been initiated and moved forward by white men. That this is so does not make the events sexist or irrelevant, nor does it automatically make the views of women, oppressed minorities or other groups more relevant.
VR-Theodore Tsaltas's first comment "nothing like rewriting your own country's history to make people unproud. A horrible and distorted book" is echoed in his last comment (I mean his last comment to me, not his comment to Tom): "I think we serve our students and our society better by being aware of our triumphs rather than by engaging in self-flagellation over our failures. Finally, the history of groups not usually a part of history books is not irrelevant, but it doesn't have to be made into a counter-cultural story either."
Teaching kids that there have been history-making mass movements of ordinary people against (i.e., that "counter") the entrenched institutions of slavery, child labor, race discrimination, etc., is actually empowering to them, not demoralizing. That's because kids are ordinary people themselves. Ted thinks we must teach only the parts that make people (read: him) "proud." He then criticizes Zinn for being inaccurate, not noticing his self-contradiction.
The trouble with Zinn is not historical accuracy; the trouble with Zinn is that he challenges the status quo propaganda narrative that currently exists in schools (just teach those accepted proud-making parts) and supplements that narrative with the story of the people. God forbid we teach kids that they have power to *change* the status quo, as demonstrated by mass movements of ordinary people throughout history, including our own. The abolition of slavery, the amending of the Constitution to give women and blacks the right to vote, the abolition of child labor, and the striking down of Jim Crow laws are some of the greatest achievements we can embrace, all of which came about because of the relentless persistence of mass movements of people, not because of individual white men.

T-You made my blog! I invite you to take a look at www.porsh1957.blogspot.com. Zinn's problem is indeed historical accuracy. I don't have a problem with the view of history you describe. If we are talking the teaching of US history your view is as incomplete as the view you ascribe to me. I have no problem with mass societal pressures, although it is a worthy question to ask how to balance that view with others. My major problem with Zinn remains polemical. Not point of view, the deliberate mis-attribution of events and the use of stories known to be false. Such a book has no place as a history text, and it is a sad statement on any values that they can use or require the use of materials known to be false and misleading.


It is now fashionable in academic circles to acknowledge the many experiences and points of view regarding a single event. There is merit to this. All arguments, all events, have more than one side. There are two problems with this approach, as I experience it. First, history makes no sense without a point of view. To include others' experience is comprehensive. But any history has a point of view. It is simply impossible to write an objective history. Second, the honoring of all points of view has led to a denigration of our own culture's view. It is now fashionable not simply to write of other groups' experiences but to belittle and even completely ignore our own. We have become our own destroyers.

Zinn's book is filled with overt, factual error. This in itself is bad in a history. Worse yet, as expressed in the long wrangle above, Zinn has written not with a point of view but with a point. He seeks to make history about something, as opposed to a record with a viewpoint. That is a significant distinction. One is history, with a flawed point of view like all histories. The other is using history as an illustration for a belief or argument. It is why the Gospels are not history. By definition, being 'good news', they are polemical.

In examining the experiences of what VR variously refers to as mass movements, women and other oppressed groups, we must ask how to balance the various views and experiences. This is especially important in a textbook. I have many, many books about Napoleonic and military history. Napoleon and his marshalate comprised less than 50 men. His armies contained, all told, more than 1 million. At a ratio of 20,000:1 it would appear napoleon's soldiers' history is more relevant than Napoleon's. VR states that it is the view of white men that renders the experiences of Napoleon more relevant than his soldiers. But all of them were white men, too.

It seems to me that to understand the experiences of the Grande Armee it is necessary to examine the experiences of soldiers, but to understand the history of France, it is necessary only to know the thoughts and motives of those generals. That does not make the soldiers' stories irrelevant. it means that the story you tell is a reflection of the history you want to write. VR confuses social movement history with US history, of which it is only a part, and not the main mover and certainly not the main actor in overall US history.

If Zinn is writing a history of mass social movements and their impact on US history I am all for that. It needs to be written, especially for a democracy. People need to understand, especially in this time of highly dysfunctional government, that their acts and votes mean something. But if Zinn is writing a history of the United States, then such social movements are only a part of a much larger picture. Zinn uses false stories, mis-attributes events and omits great and important acts and events in US history simply to make his point, as he says in his own words.

It appears to gall VR that so many decisions, battles and documents were made, fought and created by white men. That is the nature of the large motions of history until very recently. If other groups want that to be different then they need to become decision makers, and it seems to me that is happening in a major way in the US and in other countries as well. Using factual error and distortion to promote such a change is a disservice to the very changes desired.

However we are going to tell history, and that is a subject worthy of serious discussion, it can not be with a book as erroneous as Zinn's. It is a sad, sad thing that those who wish to promote popular history, mass history or socialistic history must resort to overt distortion and error to make their points. Seems to me their ideas are better served by the truth.

Ted

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Forgiveness

 In doing years of medical teaching, I have told students that teaching and learning are not directly related. I can teach and teach, but you may never learn. Conversely, you may learn continuously without me teaching you a thing. 'I teach' and 'you learn' are two separate, active processes that may overlap or coincide. The same is true of forgiveness. I am an unforgiving man. I am the very opposite of God, who is slow to anger and of great kindness. I am quick to anger and very slow to forgive. I'm kind and insightful with people generally, but when mistreated or insulted I am not kind at all, nor do I forget, or forgive.  The Bible tells us to do something else. We are told to forgive. In Matthew 18:21, Peter asks Jesus how often he should forgive his brother's sin. The Jewish standard was three times. Like the young man in the story of the Samaritan, who asks who his brother is in order to know to whom he should be loving, Peter appears to be asking for guida...

My Broken Tooth

 I broke a tooth today. I've done that before; I inherited my mother's horrible teeth, and if not for crowns I would have the smile of any drug-addicted homeless man in the street. But the tooth broke, rather than the crown coming off. I've had that happen a couple of times, and it's nothing. After all, the tooth is just fake, held on by cements similar to the ones I use for my models. This time, however, I have to have the root extracted so I can get the modern version of a bridge. And this new dental experience has reduced to me to jelly, this not helped by the condescending, sexist comments of the dental assistant. I have a long, longe memory, my first recollections coming from age 2. I have well-developed, detailed memories from age 3 onward. I vividly recall being at the dentiswt as a child, when it was fashionable to fill baby teeth. I can recall being left there by my mother as a 14 year old, on the day I was paid for working as 'the 5th ace' at Camp Maga...

Politically Correct Dishonor

The Biblical prophets warned aloud that devastation would come to those who were unclean. Those that profaned God and the house of God, those who were drunken, fornicators, idolators, those that cheated, that gave unclean offerings. Israel was warned of the consequences of their behavior. And God did not punish Israel. Rather, by walking away from God, Israel simply suffered the consequences of its behavior and choices. I chose, I chose , to live, to receive a transplant. I struggled to have the surgery that prolonged my life, I accepted the gift of a kidney from a whole person that I might live. I was convinced by family and friends that I had some role in the world, something I might contribute. And I believed that. My idea of contribution was to teach, to give to others what I had learned to do. But I have lived to see injustice. To see self-interest and greed triumph over not merely right but reason as well. I see incompetence passed off as expertise, the mundane as the s...