The Willamette Weekly tossed a Republican candidate out of their editorial interview for calling out a reporter writing 'blah blah blah blah blah' instead of another candidate's words. The video is here.
I cannot adequately express my disgust and sadness over this. My reaction has nothing to do with the political stripes of the candidates, about whom I know nothing, or the paper, about which I also know nothing. I am epelled by reporters who don't quote candidates, don't listen, write from an ideological perspective rather than a fact-based one.
It is the responsibility of a reporter to report what was said and done. Not a digest of personal opinion lightly laced with facts. Not a redaction of facts to fit the reporter's personal values. Events like what is shown on the tape destroy trust in media, and rightly so. Without a trustworthy media citizens cannot be comfortable voting or speaking about issues. Oregon is sufficiently liberal politically that I doubt the Willamette Weekly will suffer much for a terrible breach of values. My trust and respect for all journalism, however, already low, has taken yet another blow.
Reporters once reported acts and words. With Watergate they all became mini editors, slanting stories for socio-political purpose. Now they are censors. Not of themselves but of the truth.
Ted
I cannot adequately express my disgust and sadness over this. My reaction has nothing to do with the political stripes of the candidates, about whom I know nothing, or the paper, about which I also know nothing. I am epelled by reporters who don't quote candidates, don't listen, write from an ideological perspective rather than a fact-based one.
It is the responsibility of a reporter to report what was said and done. Not a digest of personal opinion lightly laced with facts. Not a redaction of facts to fit the reporter's personal values. Events like what is shown on the tape destroy trust in media, and rightly so. Without a trustworthy media citizens cannot be comfortable voting or speaking about issues. Oregon is sufficiently liberal politically that I doubt the Willamette Weekly will suffer much for a terrible breach of values. My trust and respect for all journalism, however, already low, has taken yet another blow.
Reporters once reported acts and words. With Watergate they all became mini editors, slanting stories for socio-political purpose. Now they are censors. Not of themselves but of the truth.
Ted
Comments
Post a Comment