I have grown wearily accustomed to Christmas ads coming into stores in late October. I know the 'Christmas shopping season' begins on the day after Thanksgiving. I don't like any of that. Now K-Mart proposes to stay open all of Thanksgiving day for 'the convenience of shoppers'.
I'm done. I can't stand it.
The Christmas season actually begins in the church calendar on Christmas day, and continues for 12 days (shocking- two turtle doves, etc) until January 6. This is the actual celebration of Christmas. Carols are supposed to be sung then, not before. Prior to Christmas is Advent, not Christmas. Our whole orientation to Christmas is backwards. After December 25 everyone promptly forgets about Christmas at the very time we are supposed to celebrate it.
Our timing, of course, is purely secular. Since we give gifts at Christmas it is not Christmas but its associated shopping season that defines the holiday from a secular view. I don't actually mind this change of timing all that much. I like the anticipation of Christmas. I like carols playing. I like snowmen and stockings and the creche and all of it. I hate the commercialization, but I tolerate it to be able to walk around feeling happy and eager about life for a few weeks.
For stores, there is a stark and troubling reality. 50-65% of annual profits for most restaurants and for many stores is made in the 6 weeks from November 15 until January 1. From a business point of view the whole religious or social aspect of the holiday is irrelevant. This is when they earn their salaries, make their bonuses, determine stock values. If any salaried worker made 60% of their year's earnings in the same period they would be out working 18 hours daily. That would work weekends. They would skip meals. They would work Christmas Day, Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve and weekends. And that is exactly what restaurateurs and store owners and managers do from November 15 through January 1.
But by common consent we have held out Thanksgiving Day. Thanksgiving was my father's favorite holiday. It is uniquely American, and he felt very personally a sense of gratitude for being alive and being in the US. We have come to know that millions will be out the next day gorging on commercial items. But it is awful that anyone work on Thanksgiving, or ask anyone else to do so, especially in the name of sales.
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize the driver is a desire to beat all the other stores for early shoppers. First we had 'open at 8', then 'open at 6'. Now we have 'open at 4 am'. Now fig leafs and sops to propriety, tradition and family life have been taken away. The hell with it- let's open the doors on Thanksgiving.
I can imagine the planning. Well, all people do is eat a big meal and watch football. Let's give them the opportunity to shop. Wow. The American trifecta- getting fat, watching TV and buying things! What could be better?
Being with family. Eating moderately. Walking. Playing football. Seeing a movie. Doing something together. Being together does not require consumption of food or the purchase of consumer goods.
K-MArt is not offering us an option. It is dishonoring a holiday for reflection and thankfulness. And K-Mart is not really trying to increase shopping chances. They are near the end, and are trying frantically to get butts into their stores.
McDonald's is everywhere. I don't eat there. Drugs are sold everywhere, but I don't take them. And now a store is open on Thanksgiving.
But I won't shop there. And I won't shop there EVER if they keep their policy.
Ted
I'm done. I can't stand it.
The Christmas season actually begins in the church calendar on Christmas day, and continues for 12 days (shocking- two turtle doves, etc) until January 6. This is the actual celebration of Christmas. Carols are supposed to be sung then, not before. Prior to Christmas is Advent, not Christmas. Our whole orientation to Christmas is backwards. After December 25 everyone promptly forgets about Christmas at the very time we are supposed to celebrate it.
Our timing, of course, is purely secular. Since we give gifts at Christmas it is not Christmas but its associated shopping season that defines the holiday from a secular view. I don't actually mind this change of timing all that much. I like the anticipation of Christmas. I like carols playing. I like snowmen and stockings and the creche and all of it. I hate the commercialization, but I tolerate it to be able to walk around feeling happy and eager about life for a few weeks.
For stores, there is a stark and troubling reality. 50-65% of annual profits for most restaurants and for many stores is made in the 6 weeks from November 15 until January 1. From a business point of view the whole religious or social aspect of the holiday is irrelevant. This is when they earn their salaries, make their bonuses, determine stock values. If any salaried worker made 60% of their year's earnings in the same period they would be out working 18 hours daily. That would work weekends. They would skip meals. They would work Christmas Day, Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve and weekends. And that is exactly what restaurateurs and store owners and managers do from November 15 through January 1.
But by common consent we have held out Thanksgiving Day. Thanksgiving was my father's favorite holiday. It is uniquely American, and he felt very personally a sense of gratitude for being alive and being in the US. We have come to know that millions will be out the next day gorging on commercial items. But it is awful that anyone work on Thanksgiving, or ask anyone else to do so, especially in the name of sales.
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize the driver is a desire to beat all the other stores for early shoppers. First we had 'open at 8', then 'open at 6'. Now we have 'open at 4 am'. Now fig leafs and sops to propriety, tradition and family life have been taken away. The hell with it- let's open the doors on Thanksgiving.
I can imagine the planning. Well, all people do is eat a big meal and watch football. Let's give them the opportunity to shop. Wow. The American trifecta- getting fat, watching TV and buying things! What could be better?
Being with family. Eating moderately. Walking. Playing football. Seeing a movie. Doing something together. Being together does not require consumption of food or the purchase of consumer goods.
K-MArt is not offering us an option. It is dishonoring a holiday for reflection and thankfulness. And K-Mart is not really trying to increase shopping chances. They are near the end, and are trying frantically to get butts into their stores.
McDonald's is everywhere. I don't eat there. Drugs are sold everywhere, but I don't take them. And now a store is open on Thanksgiving.
But I won't shop there. And I won't shop there EVER if they keep their policy.
Ted
I work for Hardees. All stores were open regular hours that day. We will be open all day on Christmas too. The almighty dollar is more important than being with families. The market managers call the hours, and this person has extended them the most they've ever been this year. It is a sad commentary when a fast food restaurant is open on such a major holiday, an even sadder one is that people will come.
ReplyDelete