We are now at the Seaquest Inn south of Yachats. It is literally right on the ocean, and has a beautiful view- if you can see it. It has rained almost continuously today. The only break allowed us an hour's walk through a Sitka Spruce forest down to the Pacific- a magnificent walk and indescribable views.
The rest of the time, it has rained. The Inuit have something like 12 names for snow. Oregon needs a dozen names for rain. Mist, drizzle, light rain, shower, steady, wind-blown, deluge, and then there-is-a-waterfall-out-of-the-clouds-directly-above-my-car kind of rain. At times it was difficult to decide where the ocean stopped and 'dry' land began.
Oregon is generally beautiful, and people are in the main very friendly and low-key.
The vacation has been, for me to date, a remarkable challenging of internal taboos and fears. We ate brunch in the Space Needle, where I had not eaten in 47 years. It was a terrific experience. The next day we walked from the hotel to the Space Needle. I felt as free and accomplished as I did the day I climbed Lycavitos in Athens when I was 13. We walked through the Sitka forest, crossing a rope and board bridge to reach the Pacific. It's been quite a trip.
There is little internet service along the way. Many of the touchstones of daily life- internet news, sports, Facebook (God help us all), work- simply don't have any meaning here. It forces an examination of your values, your fears, your beliefs. I am much more afraid and constrained than I ever imagined. I have certainly done things here I never imagined I would do.....
Tomorrow we're off to a ranch in the hills above the ocean. When I'm not enjoying myself I think I must be nuts....
Ted
The rest of the time, it has rained. The Inuit have something like 12 names for snow. Oregon needs a dozen names for rain. Mist, drizzle, light rain, shower, steady, wind-blown, deluge, and then there-is-a-waterfall-out-of-the-clouds-directly-above-my-car kind of rain. At times it was difficult to decide where the ocean stopped and 'dry' land began.
Oregon is generally beautiful, and people are in the main very friendly and low-key.
The vacation has been, for me to date, a remarkable challenging of internal taboos and fears. We ate brunch in the Space Needle, where I had not eaten in 47 years. It was a terrific experience. The next day we walked from the hotel to the Space Needle. I felt as free and accomplished as I did the day I climbed Lycavitos in Athens when I was 13. We walked through the Sitka forest, crossing a rope and board bridge to reach the Pacific. It's been quite a trip.
There is little internet service along the way. Many of the touchstones of daily life- internet news, sports, Facebook (God help us all), work- simply don't have any meaning here. It forces an examination of your values, your fears, your beliefs. I am much more afraid and constrained than I ever imagined. I have certainly done things here I never imagined I would do.....
Tomorrow we're off to a ranch in the hills above the ocean. When I'm not enjoying myself I think I must be nuts....
Ted
Sounds as though your trip is "just what the doctor ordered."
ReplyDelete-D-