Skip to main content
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZprVPKi-W6s

This video is interesting. Some of it I agree with. Israel goes well out of its way to avoid civilian casualties, more than any other army in the world. The UN report charging bothIsrael and the Palestinians with war crimes was grossly unfair, comparing a single use of phosphorous shells with years of deliberate bombardment of civilian centers.

On the other hand, Israel continues to provoke its neighbors by building settlements, and justifying its existence on biblical material not all recognize or even acknowledge is no better than grounding any policy in a particular religious stance.

Palestine has not been ruled by Jews for a large majority of its existence. It has been ruled by Philistines, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Turkish arabs and the British. By right of rulership, I can see why arabs feel it is their land- they have had the longest periods of ownership.

On the whole, I feel there is justification for the existence of Israel, and they were violently attacked by their neighbors, who lost the 1948 war. I would prefer to see settlement activity stop, and see if a real peace can be achieved with the Palestinians. I am not optimistic.

Many people have forgotten about the crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem, or outremer. Christians ruled Palestine for 110 years. Whole generations were born and died there, rarely or never setting foot in their 'native' countries. And yet, this kingdom is today only a historical footnote. It was conquered by arabs and held by them until 1919, and lived in by them until 1948. When outremer was 62 years old, no one had any thought that it might one day disappear.

While I am supportive of Israel, and it has an international mandate for its existence from the UN, historical comparisons are not promising for its long term survival. Neither are the biblical analogies used in this video. It only took a couple fo generations of kingship for Israel to be destroyed.

Ted

Comments

  1. I feel as you do, that Israel does have justification for its existence. However, as you point out, lots of other people have ruled that land in the last 3,000 years, so it's not as though the Jewish people "own" the land...and of course, before the Jews there were other people living in that land, like the Jebusites, from whom King David commandeered Jerusalem.

    The video does not point out (of course) the harm done to the many Arabs - both Christians and Muslims - by the Jews over the years, including the loss of whole towns back in 1948.

    In any multi-faceted feud of long standing, no party is going to be completely innocent: human nature isn't like that. The Jews in Israel have committed their fair share of injustices over the years (as William Dalrymple's book "From the Holy Mountain" shows). Still, they have taken quite a beating from their neighbors and deserve a place at table of the world's nations.

    David Graham

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Forgiveness

 In doing years of medical teaching, I have told students that teaching and learning are not directly related. I can teach and teach, but you may never learn. Conversely, you may learn continuously without me teaching you a thing. 'I teach' and 'you learn' are two separate, active processes that may overlap or coincide. The same is true of forgiveness. I am an unforgiving man. I am the very opposite of God, who is slow to anger and of great kindness. I am quick to anger and very slow to forgive. I'm kind and insightful with people generally, but when mistreated or insulted I am not kind at all, nor do I forget, or forgive.  The Bible tells us to do something else. We are told to forgive. In Matthew 18:21, Peter asks Jesus how often he should forgive his brother's sin. The Jewish standard was three times. Like the young man in the story of the Samaritan, who asks who his brother is in order to know to whom he should be loving, Peter appears to be asking for guida...

My Broken Tooth

 I broke a tooth today. I've done that before; I inherited my mother's horrible teeth, and if not for crowns I would have the smile of any drug-addicted homeless man in the street. But the tooth broke, rather than the crown coming off. I've had that happen a couple of times, and it's nothing. After all, the tooth is just fake, held on by cements similar to the ones I use for my models. This time, however, I have to have the root extracted so I can get the modern version of a bridge. And this new dental experience has reduced to me to jelly, this not helped by the condescending, sexist comments of the dental assistant. I have a long, longe memory, my first recollections coming from age 2. I have well-developed, detailed memories from age 3 onward. I vividly recall being at the dentiswt as a child, when it was fashionable to fill baby teeth. I can recall being left there by my mother as a 14 year old, on the day I was paid for working as 'the 5th ace' at Camp Maga...

Politically Correct Dishonor

The Biblical prophets warned aloud that devastation would come to those who were unclean. Those that profaned God and the house of God, those who were drunken, fornicators, idolators, those that cheated, that gave unclean offerings. Israel was warned of the consequences of their behavior. And God did not punish Israel. Rather, by walking away from God, Israel simply suffered the consequences of its behavior and choices. I chose, I chose , to live, to receive a transplant. I struggled to have the surgery that prolonged my life, I accepted the gift of a kidney from a whole person that I might live. I was convinced by family and friends that I had some role in the world, something I might contribute. And I believed that. My idea of contribution was to teach, to give to others what I had learned to do. But I have lived to see injustice. To see self-interest and greed triumph over not merely right but reason as well. I see incompetence passed off as expertise, the mundane as the s...