Skip to main content
A quiet adn thoughtful Friday night. We are about to watch a movie at home, after having fish for dinner.

Too many people have fast food for dinner, or lunch. The same 2001 data is commonly quoted for fast food consumption, with an averagge of 3 hamburgers and 4 orders of fries weekly. Consumption has increased since then. While in renal failure, I had to know the sodium, calorie and potassium content of what I ate. All this data is readily available on web sites, and it is damning.

Cooking at home is just not that hard. Like exercise, claims that there is not enough time to cook have it backward. Time has to be set aside for it, just like running, or going to the gym. Cooking at home not only makes for much better dietary outcomes, it is cheaper as well.

As a society, we are all concerned about environmental pollution and carcinogens. We have all kinds of laws about stack emissions for power plants, disposal of heavy metals (ever try to throw away a cell phone battery?), recycling of plastics, chlorine emissions from paper plants, etc, etc. And all these have produced a cleaner and safer environment. Sholdn't we look at what we voluntarily put in our bodies?

I do not advocate control- everyone gets to choose what they eat- but I do advocate information. But take a look at fast food- McDonald's web site has all the data on what they politely call the 'nutritional content' of their food. A Quarter pounder without cheese has 410 calories and 730 mgs of sodium, as well as 19 gms of fat. An Angus Bacon and Cheese has 790 calories adn 2070 mgs of sodium. That's more salt than should be consumed in a DAY.

Imagine if these 'foods' had sulfuric acid, rat droppings and heavy metals in them. We certainly would not call this their 'nutritional content'. We would be advertising and alerting people about toxins in fast food. But what is in them is producing more damage than all heavy metal poisonings put together. It would be interesting to contrast food induced metabolic disease with enviornmaentally induced cancers. Bet the fast food is more dangerous. We as a nation happily troop to various fast food outlets, then bemoan our collective obesity and diabetes. Think there might be a connection there?

Why not label fast food, and restaurant food in general, according to nutritional content, and engage in an educational campaign nationally? Can we not ban these places from schools and colleges, as well as hospital buildings? I like to think that if people knew what they were eating they might change their choices.

I fiercely resist regulation, being told what to do. But I like getting information, and trust myself and others to make choices that are good for each of us. And that choice is so obviously not fast food.

Ted

Comments

  1. Dr.Tsaltas, I agree with your post about too much fast food. When my chidren were young we maybe had fast food twice amonth if that. It was a treat, a happy meal now and then. Now I've seen families that eat out several times a week. It is the "norm" now to do that. Do any families still sit at the dinner table together and eat a healty homecooked meal anymore? Not many. It's too much trouble. People and their priorities have changed. Lifes are too hectic now with this lesson and that lesson, always on the go. And imagining if there were rat droppings in our fast food....there probably are. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I supposed my family is in the minority of homes that eat at home every day of the week. Of course, as a full-time working parent with a husband gone 2-3 nights a week working, the burden of cooking generally falls to me alone and I get really sick of it at times. Then I remind myself that my mother worked, my dad tried even though he was/still is terribly disabled, she came home every day and cooked a good nutritious meal. I am healthier for it as an adult, I am committed to doing the same for my girls. I know when they are with their dad, they eat out all weekend, so it falls to me to wrench all that poison from their bodies, pour water and milk down their throats and put the "detested" vegetables on their plates. Fast food used to be somewhat better for you than it is now, but in the name of food cost, the additives are in there to make it last longer so the warehouses can buy more and get a better price for it.
    You want a real shocker, go to the Long John Silver's or Captain D's websites and look at their nutrition contents. One platter at LJS has over 50 fat grams and thousands upon thousands of grams of sodium in it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Forgiveness

 In doing years of medical teaching, I have told students that teaching and learning are not directly related. I can teach and teach, but you may never learn. Conversely, you may learn continuously without me teaching you a thing. 'I teach' and 'you learn' are two separate, active processes that may overlap or coincide. The same is true of forgiveness. I am an unforgiving man. I am the very opposite of God, who is slow to anger and of great kindness. I am quick to anger and very slow to forgive. I'm kind and insightful with people generally, but when mistreated or insulted I am not kind at all, nor do I forget, or forgive.  The Bible tells us to do something else. We are told to forgive. In Matthew 18:21, Peter asks Jesus how often he should forgive his brother's sin. The Jewish standard was three times. Like the young man in the story of the Samaritan, who asks who his brother is in order to know to whom he should be loving, Peter appears to be asking for guida...

My Broken Tooth

 I broke a tooth today. I've done that before; I inherited my mother's horrible teeth, and if not for crowns I would have the smile of any drug-addicted homeless man in the street. But the tooth broke, rather than the crown coming off. I've had that happen a couple of times, and it's nothing. After all, the tooth is just fake, held on by cements similar to the ones I use for my models. This time, however, I have to have the root extracted so I can get the modern version of a bridge. And this new dental experience has reduced to me to jelly, this not helped by the condescending, sexist comments of the dental assistant. I have a long, longe memory, my first recollections coming from age 2. I have well-developed, detailed memories from age 3 onward. I vividly recall being at the dentiswt as a child, when it was fashionable to fill baby teeth. I can recall being left there by my mother as a 14 year old, on the day I was paid for working as 'the 5th ace' at Camp Maga...

Politically Correct Dishonor

The Biblical prophets warned aloud that devastation would come to those who were unclean. Those that profaned God and the house of God, those who were drunken, fornicators, idolators, those that cheated, that gave unclean offerings. Israel was warned of the consequences of their behavior. And God did not punish Israel. Rather, by walking away from God, Israel simply suffered the consequences of its behavior and choices. I chose, I chose , to live, to receive a transplant. I struggled to have the surgery that prolonged my life, I accepted the gift of a kidney from a whole person that I might live. I was convinced by family and friends that I had some role in the world, something I might contribute. And I believed that. My idea of contribution was to teach, to give to others what I had learned to do. But I have lived to see injustice. To see self-interest and greed triumph over not merely right but reason as well. I see incompetence passed off as expertise, the mundane as the s...