Now there's a collection of what we call vices. These are the things I see people, all people (me too) do to assuage emotional pain by physical means. Of course it is a hopeless quest; the real way to answer emotional pain is by meditation (prayer if you prefer), but we all fail in this effort. I like to say I never met a cinnamon roll that yelled at me, or said I was bad.
There are several inconsistencies with how our society handles these indulgences. Some are illegal yet safe, like marijuana, while others are legal and dangerous, like cigarettes. Many Christians and Muslims feel strongly about alcohol, but are comfortable with chocolate cake and french fries.
I have generally argued in support of complete legalization of all these items, with zoning, regulation, taxation and inspection. Our society, for example, would be better off in terms of health if we had disclosure labels on fast food, and taxed food for its fat content while outlawing cigarettes and legalizing drugs. My only concern on this idea is that the 'therapeutic index' on cocaine and heroin, that is, the ratio of a dose that makes you high to a dose that kills you, is quite low. It is very easy to kill yourself with a double dose of heroin, while it takes 1-2 drinks to get high but 15 or so to die.
Another interesting aspect to all this is to see people who are violently judgmental about physical indulgence while being uncaring and ungiving in spiritual and emotional affairs. In saying this, I do not advocate the excessive use of any of these pleasures, whether drink, drugs or food, even sex. I simply observe that a not trivial number of people condemn physical pleasure while not being giving of the spirit.
I would much rather have a person who smoked, drank and fooled around who was kind, thoughtful and polite than a person who was a tee-totaler who was mean, pinched and rude.
I often wonder if indulgence of the flesh prevents access to God. I feel rather that a small, narrow, judgmental soul is more of a barrier to finding God than an extra-marital affair, a pack of cigarettes or a drink.
In my business, I get to see many people who have destroyed themselves with physical misbehavior. On the other hand, I also see people who enjoy their physical body while also being kind, honest, fair and giving.
Ted
There are several inconsistencies with how our society handles these indulgences. Some are illegal yet safe, like marijuana, while others are legal and dangerous, like cigarettes. Many Christians and Muslims feel strongly about alcohol, but are comfortable with chocolate cake and french fries.
I have generally argued in support of complete legalization of all these items, with zoning, regulation, taxation and inspection. Our society, for example, would be better off in terms of health if we had disclosure labels on fast food, and taxed food for its fat content while outlawing cigarettes and legalizing drugs. My only concern on this idea is that the 'therapeutic index' on cocaine and heroin, that is, the ratio of a dose that makes you high to a dose that kills you, is quite low. It is very easy to kill yourself with a double dose of heroin, while it takes 1-2 drinks to get high but 15 or so to die.
Another interesting aspect to all this is to see people who are violently judgmental about physical indulgence while being uncaring and ungiving in spiritual and emotional affairs. In saying this, I do not advocate the excessive use of any of these pleasures, whether drink, drugs or food, even sex. I simply observe that a not trivial number of people condemn physical pleasure while not being giving of the spirit.
I would much rather have a person who smoked, drank and fooled around who was kind, thoughtful and polite than a person who was a tee-totaler who was mean, pinched and rude.
I often wonder if indulgence of the flesh prevents access to God. I feel rather that a small, narrow, judgmental soul is more of a barrier to finding God than an extra-marital affair, a pack of cigarettes or a drink.
In my business, I get to see many people who have destroyed themselves with physical misbehavior. On the other hand, I also see people who enjoy their physical body while also being kind, honest, fair and giving.
Ted
Comments
Post a Comment